Chapter 5

“So what do you think? She’s good right?”

“I think she’s young.”

The Director frowned, “That’s what I just said, she’s good. She’s young, full of work ethic, doesn’t ask questions and won’t second guess authority.”

Holly gave the Director a dismissive nod focusing her attention outside the slow moving vehicle to the city outside. The sun was just setting, caressing the tops of the buildings as the darkness made its descent on the city.

“I think time will tell. How has Robert’s interrogation gone? How much does he know and did he tell anyone else?”

The Director pursed his lips, “He knew a lot more than we first thought. I had Solomon interrogate him but we still don’t know how he knew what he did, or if he talked to anyone else. I’m not worried about it though. If he did tell anyone else or if there is information floating around we’ll find it. If anyone else decides to start talking we’ll see that they are released outside of the city as well.”

Holly raised an eyebrow at the Director’s carefree attitude.

“Oh don’t think I don’t see the judging look, Holly. I’m not brushing this under the rug. We’ll find the leak. I have our agents in every department with ears and eyes open. Sooner or later we’ll find the book, tape, video, whatever it was that tipped Robert off to what he knows. We’ll stop it. We always do.”

Holly relaxed her raised eyebrow with a nod. “And you think it’s good for our young, new head of the physical education department to see him go? No one is allowed to the city walls besides us, the person being released, and the guards releasing him.”

The Director stretched as the vehicle came to a stop outside of a tall housing unit. “I think it will be good. I plan on doing it from now on with all the new heads of the departments. It’ll serve as a reminder that no one is safe unless they fall in line with us and hit their required quotas. Fear is a powerful motivator, Counselor, but you know that well. I’ve seen how you run your department.”

The Director paused to remove his glasses and clean them on his white coat. “Speaking of your department, any word on the rumors or discontent of citizens?”

Holly bit her lower lip as her eyes made their way to the ceiling of the vehicle, “Yes, reports have shown that there is a nine percent increase in citizens that are confused or wish there was another way to punish failure to meet goals instead of being released outside the city.”

“That’s disturbing.”

“I know. I am having those citizens that are starting to ‘question’ the city’s policies monitored.”

“Good.” Director Patterson’s face turned from a look of concentration to a smile as he caught Jordan’s figure approaching the waiting vehicle. “Oh, here she comes now. No more doom and gloom, Counselor, try and smile.”