Chapter 39

Evie’s POV

“This is so exciting Tony!” I say as we walk towards the post office.

“You’ve never been to the post office before?”

I roll my eyes and shove Tony. He slips off the sidewalk then jumps right back up.

“Geez. You trying to kill me mamas?

“No. You’re just being dumb.”

Tony laughs then kisses the top of my head. “Yes. This is exciting.”

“Thank you for agreeing with me.” I wrap my arm around his waist and we keep walking. After a few minutes, my phone starts to buzz. I pull it out of my pocket and its Keisha.

“Hey,” I say. I slip my arm away from Tony’s waist and we hold hands as we continue walking.

“I talked to Cole.”

I can’t tell if she’s upset or okay so I let her keep going.

“He wants me to give it up for adoption.”

That’s better than abortion. “How do you feel about it?”

I’m gonna run inside. Tony mouths when we get to the post office. I’ll be right back.

I walk around the front entrance as Keisha keeps talking.

“About the adoption? Fine, I guess.” Keisha pauses and when she speaks again, she’s choked up. “He wants to break up though.”

I nod even though she can’t see me. “I’m so sorry Keisha.”

“Can you come over? I know you’re busy but I really need someone to talk to.”

Tony comes out and offers me his arm. I wrap my hand around his bicep and we walk towards his house.

“Can you hang on a sec?” I ask Keisha.

“Yeah,” she sniffles.

I squeeze the phone against my stomach so she can’t hear me and Tony looks down at me.

“Does she need you?” He asks.

“Yeah. Sorry, I don’t mean to dip out.”

“It’s okay mamas. She’s your friend. You gotta help her. I’ll walk you to her house.”

“Thanks.” I peck him on the cheek then put my phone to my ear. “Hey Keish?”

“I’m here,” her voice cracks.

“Okay. Sit tight. I’ll be there in 10 minutes okay?”

“Thanks Evie,” she says quietly.

“Of course Keisha. I love you and I’ll be there soon.” I hang up the phone and Tony walks me to Keisha’s house. It’s only three blocks away.

“Thanks for walking me,” I say when we reach Keisha’s apartment.

“Anything for you Evie. I’m waiting for you to figure that out.” Tony hugs me.

“I’ll probably be here awhile. And maybe spend the night. Can you just make sure Donny behaves? And if you don’t mind, can you call my mom and tell her we won’t be home? I know I’m asking a lot but—

Tony cuts me off with a kiss to the lips. “You’re not asking for a lot babe. Everything will be fine. Now go.” He smiles and motions me towards the door.

“Thanks Tony.” I call as he walks away. He usually waits for me to get inside before leaving but I guess he doesn’t want to be around Keisha.