Chapter 9

Evie's POV

"Please Evie??" Donny is whining again. "You promised that me and Tony would hang out again. Plus he said he wants me to be friends with his little sister. Pleaseeeee?"

"It's not gonna be fun." I pack my laptop and charger. "We're just gonna be studying."

"That's okay. Me and Emily can play together."

"I don't even know if Emily is gonna be there Donovan." I roll my eyes and get ready to leave. "Why do you even wanna go so bad?"

Donny hangs his head down. "I don't really have that many friends and I like meeting new people. And I like Tony."

"Fine." I pick up my stuff. "Go put some shoes on and meet me down stairs in 5. If you’re not done I’m leaving without you.”

“Yessssss! Okay!” Donny runs off and is back in two minutes with his shoes, a jacket and a brown bag. He looks up at me and smiles. “I’m ready Evie.”

"So what's in the bag?" I ask as we round the corner towards Tony's. He actually doesn't live that far. It's a five minute walk. 

"I got snacks for my and Emily." Donny stops walking and sets the bag on the sidewalk. "See look." He starts pulling stuff out of the bag. "Oreos, juice, fruit rollups—,"

"Okay Donny." I throw his stuff back in the bag. "You can show me the rest when we get to Tony's okay?"

Donny smiles and picks up the bag. "Okay."

"And this is his apartment." I knock loudly on the front door and a little girl opens it. 

"Hi," she says, shyly. 

"Is your brother home?" I ask.

"Tony!" She shrieks backs. "Es para tú."

"Gracias mi amor." Tony comes up behind Emily and tickles her. She screams and takes off running.

"Hey little man." Tony waves at Donny and Donny runs full forces at Tony. Tony flinches but hangs on to Donny. "How you been D?"

"Great!" Donny smiles. "And I have a loose tooth!" He wiggles his tooth with his free hand.

"Nice little man. In a couple days you'll look like Emily. Like a pirate."

Donny laughs then holds up the bag. "I brought snacks!"

"Awesome. Go put them on the counter okay D?" Tony says.

"Okay." Donny walks into the house and it's just me and Tony standing in the cool evening air. 

"Hey," I finally say. I think about hugging him but I'm not sure if I know him well enough to do that.

"Hola," Tony responds. "Thanks for coming."

"Of course."

Tony motions for me to enter into the apartment and I do. When we get inside the living room, Emily is playing with her doll house and Donny is sitting on the couch staring.

"Did you meet Donny?" Tony asks Emily. 

"No," Emily mumbles. 

"Can you say hi to him Emily?"

"Hi Donny." She doesn't look up from her doll house.

"I'm sorry Emily." Tony walks over to her and bends down. "Last time I checked, we treat guests with respect. So please go say hi and show Donny around."