Chapter 29

Evie’s POV

“Wait!!” Emily jumps up and down. “You didn’t kiss Tony goodbye like you usually do!”

Tony smirks and I just sigh.

No, I do not really want to kiss Tony. Especially because Keisha’s lips were just on his.

“Yeahh.. I guess I forgot.” I give Tony a peck on the cheek. “See you tomorrow.”

When I get home, my mom and Donny are reading in the bedroom. I take a quick shower then settle into my bed and try to tune out my mom’s voice as my thoughts take over.

Today was absolutely crazy.

What hurt most was actually seeing Keisha kiss Tony. She really thinks she can get him back. For a moment today, I doubted our relationship.

It was the crappiest feeling in the world.

I try to push that thought out of my head and instead think about what I’m gonna do these next three weeks, especially since we don’t have school. Bob’s will be open but I’m only scheduled for Christmas Day and New Years. Those are our busiest days of the year.

I was thinking of spending time with Tony and helping him get back to normal but I don’t know how useful I’ll be if all I’m thinking about is Keisha kissing him.

I roll over in bed and try to think of a plan.

Tomorrow I’ll drop Donny off at Tony’s, come home—

“Evie?” My mom’s voice interrupts my thoughts. She’s across the room in Donny’s bed. “You sleep yet?”

“No Ma. What’s up?”

“Nothing sweetheart. I just wanted to say goodnight before I get up.”

“Oh, okay. Night mom.”

My mom walks across the room and plants a kiss on my forehead. 

“Sleep tight Evie.”

“I will.” Sleep overwhelms me and a few minutes later, I’m out.

I'm dreading going to Tony's the next morning, and of course Donny nags me all morning until we finally leave.

"Are you gonna stay with me at Tony's?" We're walking down the street to his apartment complex.

"Uhh...I'm not sure." Actually, that's the last thing I want to do.

"Mkay. I can't wait to see Emily!" Donny continues talking and I let my thoughts wander.

What if Tony cheats on me? What if Keisha doesn't stop going over there? 

Before I know it, we're at Tony's door. Donny knocks a few times and the door swings open to reveal Emily. 

"DONNY!" Emily throws herself at Donny and they hug for a moment and then run inside. I'm about to leave when Tony appears in the doorway.

"Hey Evie."

"Hey."

"Uh, so I know you wanted space but do you think you could stay for a little? I wanna make Emi and Donny breakfast and it's hella hard with one arm." 

Tony motions to his wrist and I notice for the first time that it's in a sling. 

"Um, yeah sure. But just for a little bit."

"Great mamas." Tony opens the door a little wider for me. “After you.”

I squeeze past Tony then set my bag on the floor, next to my shoes.