Chapter 48

Evie’s POV

“I can’t believe we’re only a month into the school year and I already have three papers due next week!” I am sitting in a booth at Bob’s and Keisha is across from me. “It’s like the teachers don’t even care that I’m trying to apply to college. My UC applications are way more important than a paper on why solar panels are good.”

Keisha sucks up the rest of her chocolate milkshake. “Can I get another one?” She asks guiltily.

“Yeah, no prob.” I walk over to the counter and get another milkshake from Ruth. It’s a slow day and with my employe discount, I get free food. I also get myself a burger and rootbeer.

“Here you go.” I give Keisha her shake and take my seat again. “But don’t you think you should slow down? I’m pretty sure the baby shouldn’t be getting that much sugar.”

“Well.” Keisha sips her shake. “I been craving chocolate for the last few weeks and I’m finally getting my fix so I’m gonna enjoy it.”

“Mmm. Okay Keisha but maybe water after this one. This is your third shake.”

“Yeah. Okay.” She stirs around the whipped cream and drinks some more. “I finally talked to Cole. He avoided me all summer but I ran into him at the grocery store and wouldn’t let him get away until I said my two cents.”

“Oh!” I bite into my burger. “How’d that go?”

“Eh. He still doesn’t want to have anything to do with me but he supports the adoption. All the way. He also said he’s gonna give me $100 bucks each month, to take care of myself and Bubba.” She rubs her tummy.

“Well, at least he’s helping.” I shrug. “And have you thought more about which level of adoption you want to do?”

“Honestly Evie, I don’t think I can give this baby up. Like, I’m almost four months now. I got this baby bump and I can actually feel him growing in me. That adoption lady keeps calling me but I ain’t answering the phone. I wanna go through with this.”

“I think that’s good Keisha.” I smile. “You have the support of Planned Parenthood and they daycare program at the community college. Plus you have me and your mom and—

“Mm. I ain’t got my mom. She said she was too young to have a screaming grandbaby in her house. I have to move out when the baby comes, probably in March.”

“Oh.” I get quiet.

“Yeah.”

“Well, I can talk to my mom. I’ll be moving out next summer for college but maybe she’ll let you stay.”

“I can’t ask for that.”

“You don’t have to. I’ll ask for you.”

“No Evie. Don’t. I turn 18 in January so I can get some government help. My Planned Parenthood counselor is gonna help me get some of them housing papers filled out. And sign me up for food stamps.”

“That’s good Keish. And you’ll be able to finish school?”

“Yeah. I’m doing more work so I can finish in December. And I can still walk the stage in June.”

“That’s awesome Keisha. I’m really proud of you. You’re taking what could have been a bad situation and turning it around.”

“Thanks. I just wish I could still be with Cole. I really loved him.”

“You never know. He may just come around.”

“Yeah, maybe. Hopefully.”

We finish the rest of our food and I leave a tip for Ruth.