Chapter 11

Evie's POV

"Did you get me anything Evie?!" Donny comes running up to me as soon as I open the front door.

"Oh. Yes!" I pull out a small action figure that Tony picked out at a comic store in the mall.

"This is awesome!!!" Donny grabs it from me and flies it around the living room. "Thank you Evie." He hugs me then goes running again.

"Tony actually picked it out for you." I slide my shoes off then put my bag in mine and Donny's room.

"Where's mom?" I ask, opening the fridge.

"She left," Donny says, concentrating on his action figure.

"What do you mean she left?"

"She went to work."

I close the fridge then sit down on the couch. "How long have you been alone?"

"Almost as long as you've been gone. She left right after you left."

I freak out and count the hours on the clock. "You've been alone for five hours Donny?!"

Donny shrugs and keeps playing.

I really don't understand my mom sometimes. Donny is only seven years old. He can't be left alone in the kitchen for an hour, let alone home alone for five hours.

The damage is already done and me flipping out isn't helping. I hop in the shower then hang my jacket up in my closet.

"Can you read me a bedtime?" Donny is sitting on my bed, smiling when I get out.

"Sure." I slip on my pijamas while Donny covers his eyes.

"Which book do you wanna read?" I walk over to the small book shelf in our room and scan the books. There aren't that many. And a few of them are books I got from school that are way too advanced for Donny.

"Can we read Corduroy?" Donny asks.

"Sure." I pick the book off the shelf and cuddle with Donny while I read.

Halfway through the story, he falls asleep. Instead of moving him to his bed, I let him sleep with me.

Monday finally rolls around and I feel super tired but I manage to drag myself and Donny out of bed to get us both ready for school. I peek into my mom's bedroom before we leave and see that she's passed out snoring. I walk out the door shaking my head.

I'm gonna work less. I'll be home more.

Whatever mom.

After dropping Donny off at school, I make my way to my high school. I'm so tired that I don't hear my name being called until he's right next to me.

"Evie! Hey negrita. Slow down. I've been calling your name." Tony falls into step with me as I walk to my locker.

"Sorry." I say between yawns. "I'm super tired. My mom was gone all day yesterday and I took Donny to the park.

"Then I had to come home, make dinner and study for the SAT that's coming up next weekend. It was just a long Sunday."

"I see." Tony nods. "You should have just come over. Donny and Emi seem to keep each other occupied."

I grab my literature binder and notebook out of my locker then slam it shut. Tony takes my books from me then we walk towards class.

"I don't wanna intrude. Plus Donny and I had fun. I'm just tired."

Tony nods at his boys as they pass us in the hall and I can't help but roll my eyes.

"What mamas? You don't like my boys?" He laughs."