Chapter 8

"We need the boy in fourteen days." said Elder Zarr. His voice was sharp and forceful; right to the point. His cold green eyes stabbed Ruth harder than a blade ever could. Yet he lounged in his chair, sipped his wine, and attracted others to him with a warm and inviting presence. He adjusted his tie and raised his eyebrows at Ruth.

Fourteen days, that was it. That's all they were giving her, only fourteen more days with him...

"It should be manageable Elder," Joseph said. "Ruth is making excellent progress."

"I have been informed that," said Elder Nev; she eyed Ruth with suspicion and curiosity. "You have been straying out of bounds." Her voice slithered like a snake, it crept in Ruth's ear with delicate precision; leaving her with chills.

"Do tell us of your journey." said Elder Mox, he looked like he was ready to crush her skull. He can't hurt you, Ruth thought, not now.

The Elders had planned a black tie event; hundreds of guests had representatives present. They all would gossip in hushed tones, and sip their wine until the Elders had finished their business with the guest, or guests of honor. For this one occasion, the guest of honor was Ruth, and Joseph was her plus one, and her ride home.

It was a good party, Ruth had to admit. The food was good, the ballroom was spectacular; complete with red and black silk draped over the tall walls. It was a nice touch; they incorporated Ruth's favorite color scheme. It was elegance with a dash of Ruth. Everybody important was there; all of the Shape Shifter senaters and their children, wearing the official Shape Shifter colors; emerald green and gold. The entire royal society of the Children of Peace were there; the king, queen, and their two sons, and all of the thanes and their children; they all wore white, silver and sky blue to represent their official colors. 

"I needed information," Ruth said. "I assure you Elder, that it has contributed significantly to my progress."

"What information would that be?" said Elder Nev.

"A profile on a Shape Shifter."

"What Shape Shifter?"

"Margaret Patel," said Ruth. 

"Pardon me my child," said Elder Nev, as she looked at Joseph. "And my brothers, but Ruth and I must talk privately." The Elders and Joseph left and disappeared into the crowd.

Elder Nev stood from the table and walked toward one of the private lounges, Ruth followed close behind. In silence they left crowd, the voices faded behind Ruth; she felt exposed and fragile. After traveling through a long corridor, at the end stood two Men of Rage with black suits on.

Elder Nev nodded and the men moved aside, and opened the double door. Ruth wanted to punch the pair of them; they didn't even bother hiding the satisfaction they got from Ruth in a red silk dress.

As Ruth entered the room Elder Nev closed the door behind her.

"You're certainly popular with men Ruth," said Elder Nev. "But that will fade with age, I speak from experience."

"Why in here, Elder Nev?"

"It is a conference room, so I thought it would do nicely," said Elder Nev.

The conference room was covered in golden wallpaper which had a detailed design. The hard wood floor was a rich dark brown, which didn't have a scratch. A long wooden table, which perfectly matched the wood of the floor; was right in the center.

"Have a seat Ruth," Said Elder Nev. Ruth sat at the head of the table; Elder Nev took the seat directly across.

"Oh Ruth," said Elder Nev, with plastic compassion. "You are very curious; you seek answers to questions that others wouldn't be able to ponder. My child, curiosity is a gift, but trust is everything. You are not a pure Child of Rage if you do not trust in our ways."