Epilogue

Even though Ruth didn't want to admit it, the Kingdom really was beautiful. At least, the parts she saw were. She had woken up in the royal infirmary inside the palace. The nurses and healers certainly gave her more than enough attention, the only thing that annoyed her was that they wouldn't let her see anyone until she could take ten steps without help. 

She did it, after an hour, and smiled as she saw Mark come to see her first. His arms were shrugged with his hands tucked in his pockets, and he was all cleaned up. No blood anywhere. 

Ruth sat cross legged on her bed, and gestured for Mark to join her. He sat, and crossed his legs as well, and for a moment neither of them said anything. There was to much to say, and no clear path of where to start.

"So," Mark said. "You're okay."

"More or less," Ruth said. "Did they find the others?"

"Eventually yeah," Mark said. "She zapped them an hour outside the city. They're all fine."

"Good," Ruth said. "What about Elder Zarr and Elder Mox? They were nowhere to be seen when we were in the Sanctuary."

"Currently MIA," Mark said. "But they're looking."

"Good," Ruth said. "So . . . you killed somebody?"

"I said I may have killed somebody," Mark said. "But no, I actually didn't."

"Then how did you lose your pure soul?"

"Yeah, didn't feel like doing that either," Mark said. "So I tainted the blood, not the soul."

Ruth took a moment to let what he said sink in. He . . . he actually tricked an Elder! Ruth covered her mouth and laughed for a moment, mainly due to the shock. 

"You didn't . . ." Ruth said. "I can't believe you!" 

"I had to do what I had to do," Mark said. "The whole closing of the forge forever was just a major bonus." 

"Who's blood did you use?" Ruth said. "And does that mean your soul is still pure?"

"I'm not sure if it is honestly," Mark said quietly. "I'm not really proud of what I did in there, but I did what I thought would be right for everyone in the long run . . . with that being said, when Joseph attacked me and threatened my life, I got Samia to poison him, and that's the blood I took."

The smile slowly slipped from her face. She closed her eyes, and nodded. After everything, she still had faith that Joseph could be helped, she wanted to believe it, but now he was gone. Perhaps, in some strange way that was all for the best. She'd mourn him, and only remember the good he brought to her life, not the bad.

"Well it worked," Ruth said, picking up her voice. "And you did it, you saved the world from ultimate destruction."

"Yeah," Mark said. "It's a shame I can't put that on a resume, but you win some you lose some."

"It's weird," Ruth said. "With everything being finished. We just spent so much time living one way and now . . . what the fuck are we going to do?"

"Well," Mark said. "I'm going to have to go home at some point. Face my mom and dad . . . that'll be tougher than facing Elder Nev, that's for sure. Then I guess I'll have to catch up with school, apply to universities, figure out my life . . . and maybe we could go on a date?" 

Ruth chuckled. "Absolutely." 

Mark smiled, leaned in and pressed his lips against Ruth's. He was always soft at first, which Ruth loved more than anything. Before they could let the kiss grow, an annoying little alarm went off on Mark's watch.