Chapter 30

Ruth had woken up hours later in a huge room. On the walls, there were elaborate paintings of dragons all over. The walls themselves were red, all the furniture was black, and the curtains and sheets were all silky gold. Ruth got out of bed and went to the gorgeous on suite bathroom and had a long hot shower. Ruth knew that the others were worrying about her, but if Miranda wanted her here then it was either stay or die. The ruby bracelet was still with Ruth, and she knew that it wouldn't come off until the job was done. After getting cleaned off Ruth went to the wardrobe picked out a pair jeans and a forest green t-shirt to wear. She was surprised it fit her body so well. As if exactly on cue she heard a knock on her door.

"Um," Ruth said. "Come in!"

A young man with a black tux and a red undershirt entered her room. He had medium length dirty blonde hair that he tied back into a ponytail. He looked strong, and he moved like had ultimate control over his body. He strolled in with his hands in his jacket pockets, Ruth could just barely see a bracelet exactly like hers on his wrist, except his was made of gold, not rubies.

"Miss Mayhem," he said. "Miranda will see you now."

Ruth nodded, and followed him out of her room. Together they walked down a massive corridor that had golden dragon designs painted intricately on the emerald green walls. They passed through door after door until they reached the door at the end of the hall. The man knocked twice and Miranda allowed them in.

They stepped into a room that looked like Miranda's office. Miranda sat at a black desk in the center of the room, vigorously writing on pieces of paper. This time the walls were gold with sliver and emerald dragons painted on. The shiny wooden floor was covered with a forest green carpet that complimented the painted dragons on her walls. In one corner of the room she had two black leather arm chairs nestled by a burning fire place. In the other corner she had a long matching leather couch placed against the wall. The man grabbed one of the seats by the fireplace and set it in front of Miranda's desk, and she gestured for Ruth to take a seat. 

"Thank you Sebastian," Miranda said, without bothering to look up. "Have the cooks bring Ruth some breakfast." Sebastian nodded, and left the room, closing the door on his way out. 

"So," Ruth said, as she looked around the room. "Why all the dragons?"

At that comment Miranda stopped what she was doing and gave Ruth a nasty look for a long moment, and then she went back to writing. She finished marking things down and tucked her papers into her desk drawer. As she tidied up the cooks brought Ruth's meal; an omelet, with a fruit salad. She also had an assortment of mini muffins to choose from, and a glass pitcher of orange juice. "Alright," she said as Ruth started eating. "No more fucking around, time to work."  

"Sure," Ruth said after swallowing a bite of her omelet.

"So," Miranda said. "You're here till midnight. Your friends know where you are so don't worry about them being concerned, and I'll even give you a lift back."

"Thanks," Ruth said as she finished her omelet and started eating the fruit. "So, what's  the tricky part?" 

Miranda smiled. "This is going to be a fun one," she said. "So, it turns out that your little mission has actually started affecting my life, and I have a problem with that. Basically your species grows stronger by the second. They managed to perfect a crossbow that can carry the energy of a soul."

"What?" Ruth spat. "How did they even perfect that? There were so many complications!"

"I have no idea," Miranda said. "But they have made exactly one hundred of the things, and they're throwing this ball to celebrate, and to award the chosen Children of Rage with this new weapon."

"Wait," Ruth said. "How does this complicate your life?"

"I can handle your species just the way they are," Miranda said. "I like you guys, and I don't want you to change, so I've decided to help you stay as the murderous demons we all know and love."

"How do you plan on doing that?" Ruth asked, now eating the mini muffins. 

"Nothing too extravagant," Miranda said. "Just gonna crash the party, cause a diversion, burn all the crossbows then continue on our merry way."

"Sounds simple when you put it like that," Ruth said, and she ate the last muffin.

"Fuck," Miranda said. "Is there a family of ten living in your stomach?"

Ruth shrugged as she sipped on some juice. "Skipped a few meals yesterday."

"Whatever," Miranda said.

"So," Ruth said. "Who else is coming? This is not a two person job."

Miranda's lips curved into a smile. "Actually I was just getting to that." Miranda pulled up her sleeve and started fiddling with her bracelet, just like how Ruth had seen her do it the first time. "Okay..." Miranda said. "I've called for reinforcements, he should be here momentarily."

"Who?" Ruth said as she finished the last of the juice. 

"You'll see," Miranda said. Seconds later there were a few knocks on Miranda's door, and she allowed them to enter. Sebastian stepped through with Eryx behind him. He was not happy. After Eryx entered the room, Sebastian was gone. He looked at Miranda with a displeased look on his face and held up his arm to reveal a ruby bracelet.

"Miranda," he said. "Was this really necessary?" 

"Well," Miranda said. "You made the call that night, and I'm afraid payment means both of you returning the favor." 

Eryx rolled his eyes. "How did you even get inside of the Kingdom?"

Miranda shrugged. "I go where I wanna go."

"Whatever," Eryx said. "Just explain the details so we can get this over with as fast as possible."

"Patience wayward traveller," Miranda said. "Here's what we are going to do..."