Chapter 12

"So," Mark said. "Why a field?"

"Because," Ruth said. "It's big, and we are going to need the space. The trees will conceal us, so we have nothing to worry about."

"Why do we need to be concealed?"

"You'll see."

Ruth walked With Mark a couple of feet behind her. She stopped him and he held still, while Ruth continued to the center of the field, so there was fair distance between them. The two stood facing each other; Ruth bold and confident and Mark, timid and curious.

"What now?" he called.

"Just watch me carefully," Ruth said.

"I can't see a thing!"

"Just wait."

Ruth pulled out her shadow blade. Ruth let its energy glow like a beacon. Marks eyes went wide; his face was pale with shock. Ruth stabbed the blade in the ground and began drawing in her murder rage power. She called as much as it could; it rested inside her like an exploding star. Ruth held as much of it together as she could, until finally, she released it.

Ruth was in perfect control. With great speed she and soared into the air, her hair flowed behind as it was guided by the air. Everything was slow for Ruth now. She landed with a flip and sprinted for Mark; she ran behind him and waited for the rage to pass. Ruth smiled; complete control.

She was out of the rage with a jolt. Mark's hand was on his head and he was shaking. Ruth placed her hand on his shoulder; her eyes were calm and patient. Mark whipped around with a surprised yelp.

"Mark..." Ruth said. Her voice was gentle and soothing. "It's okay, I'm okay."

"H-how... How did you... I mean... You were... You were there then..."

"It's called raging," Ruth said. "It's enhances my reflexes and abilities, and for a short time I am put in a state of power... It's kinda like adrenaline for my kind."

"Your kind..."

"I'm not a Human," Ruth said. "I am a Child of Rage."

"Oh I get it," Mark said.

"You... You do?"

"Yes," Mark said. "This is a dream, that's funny. Good one brain you got me this time!"

"Mark, you're not dreaming."

"Yes I am," Mark said. "It all makes sense."

"Mark," Ruth said. "Listen to me. You are not in a dream, do you believe me?"

"Nope."

"Fine," Ruth said. She reached out and grabbed the back of his neck, and pressed her middle finger in, what Ruth called, the special spot. Mark's body went limp and eyes rolled to the back of his head. Ruth caught his body and with a struggle, they both lowered to the ground. Five minutes, Ruth thought. Maybe then you'll cooperate. 

*                                                             *                                                  *

"Oh god," Mark said. "My head..."

"Sorry," Ruth said. "But you were in denial I had no choice." 

"What do you...? Oh god... It wasn't really a dream..."

"No," Ruth said. "It wasn't."

Ruth sat close by him with her legs crossed. She fiddled with her shadow dagger which was losing it's power. It needed a recharge. She kept her eyes focussed on her dagger. Mark pushed himself up and sat across from her.