Chapter 25

Ruth woke up on a round stone platform that was surrounded by shimmering blue water. Around her were tall beautiful trees that grew out of the water. The trees were black and impossibly twisted and its branches carried thousands of sparkling silver leaves. The small forest was secluded by a large cliff that surrounded them entirely. There were a few waterfalls around them that were perfectly spaced apart, and dangled off the top of the cliffs like curtains. Everything else blended together perfectly with the colours of twilight. It was enchanting. Ruth sat up and her eyes went wide as she took everything in. Now she wore a comfortable golden gown that fit her perfectly. The sleeves went down to her wrists and her dress touched the floor. I'm dead, Ruth thought. And it's wonderful. 

"You look beautiful," said Mark from behind her. Ruth turned to face him, and felt a twist of happiness and sorrow as her eyes met his. 

"So do you," Ruth said. He was glowing, actually glowing. He wore a casual t-shirt and jeans with sneakers, yet somehow he didn't look under dressed. Ruth got up and stood close to him and rested her hands in his. A few tears rolled down her cheeks. Mark took back one of his hands and brushed them away. 

"It's okay," he said.

"It's not," Ruth said. "I screwed up."

"That's not important anymore," he said. "We're here now, and this place is pretty cool." As Mark took another look at the trees Ruth glanced down at the hand which was still intertwined with hers. His very essence beamed off a bright golden light, while Ruth's hand looked dull in comparison. 

"Mark," Ruth said. "You're literally glowing."

"I know," Mark said, in an oddly chipper tone. "Weird, right? I guess that's the only perk of being a pure soul; you get to glow in heaven."

"This isn't heaven," said a woman's voice. "Granted we are in the beyond but this is certainly not heaven, and you're not dead, well not permanently." Ruth and Mark directed their attention towards her without separating. The woman stood before them in a long sleeveless jet black dress. She had long wavy brown hair and smooth pale skin. She did a careless gesture with her hand, and a black smoke swirled at her command and formed into the shape of a table and three chairs. Her lips curved into a devilish grin as she sat down in one of the chairs. "Please, come sit."

Ruth and Mark joined her at the table hand in hand. The moment Ruth was close she studied everything about the woman in front of her. Something about her was familiar. Her almost snake like behaviour, the cold stares of her eyes. Her wicked smile and her frightening demeanor...

"Nev..." Ruth said in a whisper. "The real Nev."

"Right you are," said Nev in an almost sing song voice. 

"How...?" said Ruth. 

"How?" said Nev. "Through this of course!" Again she waved her hand and the blade appeared. The first blade of control. She picked up the blade and placed it on the table. 

"What do you mean?" Ruth asked. 

"Well Ruth," said Nev. "I thought somebody would have told you, but what makes this blade so desirable and powerful is that my eternal soul fills the blade with its power forever! No recharge no hassle!" Nev flipped some of her brown hair behind her shoulder as she said this. "The question is," she continued. "What makes you think that I'll let you walk free with this blade with my soul in it for all eternity?" 

"Believe me," Mark said. "We don't want you locked in that thing for all eternity."

"Ah Mark Patel, the newest pure soul," said Nev. "I would accuse you of lying but since your soul is so pure I suppose you're not capable of dishonesty."