Chapter 11

Marsh pulled it off. Two days had passed since Ruth's rescue; and there was no investigation. They didn't even question the disappearance of Ruth's red dress. The Elders were so keen on Ruth completing her mission that they didn't even care. Joseph, however, was a different story. A story that Ruth had stuck on replay in her mind...                                              

                                                        ~

"Ruth, how are you?" he had asked after the removal of the blade. He had been driving them home at the time. Joseph did nothing but glance at her every five seconds, while Ruth starred out the window; with Sky hidden in her pocket.

"Fine," she had said, with her eyes glued to the window.

"Do you..." he said. "Do you remember anything?"

"No, not before they took out the blade at least..."

"Oh yeah, sure... Nothing at all?"

"Nothing at all."

"Okay," he said. "I have to tell you something, I-"

"Not now Joseph, okay?" she said. "I'm really tired, and I just don't want to hear anything important. I want to rest."

"Fine," he said. "I'll tell you another time."

                                                           ~

Another time? Not likely. Ruth made sure of it. Only two days after the rescue, and Ruth was devising plans for escape, and back up plans which she knew she would run out of. She knew she couldn't run away forever, but she only had to evade him for a little bit longer.

"You're not really into this are you?" asked Mark. Ruth and Mark were playing video games in his basement. She had been quiet for most of the hour that she had been there; her mind jumping back to her and Joseph.

"No I guess I'm not," she said. "Sorry, maybe we could do something else." 

"What did you have in mind?"

"A drive."

"Okay," he said. "Where to?"

"Can I drive?"

"Um, sure, why not." he said. "As long as we are back before dark."

"Okay."

                          *                                *                                 *

"Why the beach?"

"Because," Ruth said. "I've never been to one before."

"Never?"

"Never." Ruth and Mark sat on the sand with a blanket underneath them. 

"Wow," he said. "Then why now?"

"I guess," she said. "I wanted to experience this with the right person." 

"Then I am honored to be selected."

It was beautiful; the sky blushed with pink and orange as it faded to night. The waves crashed on the shore one after another, creating clear salty air. There were two other couples admiring the sunset from far away. What Ruth realized about the beach was that, if Joseph had followed them, he would hear nothing. The area was too open for him to be able to listen.