Chapter 1

look around the party, trying to spot anyone I know. I'm a very shy person, so making I new friends is always a difficult task. My roommate, the person who forced me to come to the party, has disappeared. We're not really good friends but why bring me here and then ditch me?

I get up from the couch I was sitting on in a huff and decide to go upstairs. I have to shove my way through a bunch of people making out and step over hurdles in the form of people passed out on the floor.

I walk past Katherine and her girlfriend Jessie. They are casually chatting with one another in the hallway. I smile and wave at them. We met at a library three months ago and really hit it off. We don't really hang out but, every time we see each other we at least say hi.

Both of them wave back. I don't stop to chat though. My social battery has run out. I need a bit of alone time now. I wish I could afford a car, then I could have left here at any time. I can barely afford my college and the cost of living at this time.

I finally find an unoccupied room. I sigh in relief and shut the door behind me. I immediately turn on the TV, needing some sort of distraction, since my phone died about an hour ago and I forgot my charger.

I switch to the news channel and mindlessly watch it for a few minutes until one story catches my attention.

"In a horrible turn of events, some of the people who took part in the perfection program, have started exhibiting aggressive behaviour. If people exhibit any of the following symptoms do not approach them. Purple eyes, slowed movements and aggressive and erratic behaviour. These people are dangerous and whatever they have can be spread by bites. We will update you as soon as we get any more information" a reporter states.

I immediately switch off the TV and walk outside. This must be a prank. The host of the house just rigged the TV to play that stupid broadcast.

Its better to be safe than sorry so my best bet is just to take this seriously. What if this is real?

I need to leave this place right now. With this many people here, there is bound to be a few people who took part in the program. There is a fight right outside the room unfortunately for me. Can I never catch a break?

"What the hell is wrong with you!" A man shouts. He has a massive wound on his arm. It's already starting to stain his blue shirt red. I look at his attacker. It's a girl with a sparkling grey dress on. She also has blood on her, but her wound is on her neck and she is chewing something.

I gasp when I spot two things. She is chewing flesh; Im assuming the piece of the man's arm and her eyes are a bright purple colour.

The man with the blue shirt goes silent, collapses and starts seizing. A man with medium long blond hair tries to help him, but I yank him back just as the girl with the grey dress tries to lunge at him.

"Run!" I shriek at the people still staring in shock.

Everyone bolts. I hold onto the man I just saved and pull him through the crowd. Clearly, he won't survive long on his own. He looks like the hero type.

We run down the stairs and head for the front door. We almost run right into the middle of another bloodbath. There are people at the front door being torn apart by the purple eyed people. It seems like there are even more people than he original party had so the party noise must have attracted even more of those freaks.

The man yanks me towards a window. We shove it open and practically throw ourselves out of the house.

When we get to where all the cars are parked, I immediately notice that my roommates car is gone.

"She left me. I can't believe she left me." I mummer in shock.

"Where do you live?" The blond-haired man asks.

"In Applewood Street. It's just inside the city." I reply.

"You can hitch a ride with me. I'm going past that street and it's the least I can do. You did save me after all." He says.

I sit there debating for a moment, but as soon as I hear gunshot and the purple eyed people start spilling out of the house, I decide my only choice is to go with this man I barely know and hope he's not a serial killer.

"Thank you so much" I say while getting into the passenger side of his car and shutting the door.

He speeds off leaving the carnage behind us.

Once we're a good distance away from the house. The blond-haired man introduces himself to me.

"The names Ethan by the way."

"Emily I reply shaking his outstretched hand.

"Do you think that the city will be like this too?" Ethan asks.

"I really hope not. Do you have any family waiting on you in there? I ask.

"Nah, my parents are working abroad and I'm an only child." He replies how about you?"

"No, I'm on my own here in the city" I simply state hoping he won't ask me any further questions about my family.

He nods, luckily getting the hint and we, both spend the rest of the car trip in silence, trying to process the days events.

Hopefully the city is not already in ruins. We are in a rural area so we won't know until we get closer to the city. I don't know where I'll go if I can't get to my apartment.