Chapter 6

I wake up with a groan. Everything hurts so bad. I lift up my shirt to see how bad the wound on my side is.

There is a bandage across my side which I move to the side. I have a few crude stitches running across my side, closing the wound. It seems like the glass is out now and the wound is much smaller than I thought it would be from all of the blood.

There are bandages around my knees but I leave those on for the time being. I also have a drip in my arm. It doesn't seem like a drip from a hospital, but instead it looks like a home-made one. We are really lucky to have Jessie to help us.

I'm in my room. I look around before getting up. Ethan is laying on a couch next to my bed. He must have carried it into my room because it wasn't there before.

I grin and drag myself over to the couch. I poke him in the face to wake him up.

He groggily looks up at me. Before shooting up and wrapping his arms around me.

"I was so worried." He mutters against my hair.

"I'm okay. How long was I out?" I question.

"Almost two days." He replies.

My eyes widen. I gently peel myself out of his grasp. Ethan hands me a bottle of water and I down it, nearly throwing up in the process.

"I want to talk to Jessie and Katherine I demand.

Ethan nods and helps me up. I stand on my own and I'm able to move around albeit at a slow pace.

I struggle to the bathroom and then downstairs and lastly into the kitchen where I hear Jessie and Katherine talking.

When they spot me, they immediately try to apologize but I stop them.

"Listen I asked you to leave. I don't blame you guys for what happened. You would have died if you didn't leave" I say.

Both of then just rush up to me and embrace me in a hug.

"Thank you" Katherine whispers.

I just nod and they let me go.

So, what do we need to do today? I ask, trying to shake the awkward atmosphere.

"Okay so we need to fix a few things today. We already fixed the chicken coop so we just need some chickens now and we made a few rows where we can plant some crops." Jessie says.

"You've been quite busy while I was out." I reply surprised.

"Maybe you should just rest today." Jessie suggests.

"I'll just take it easy. I can't just sit around." I reply.

She nods warily, but she knows I'm stubborn so she doesn't bother arguing.

We go outside and spend the next few hours fixing up the garden and getting out all the rest of the weeds.

We also start mixing some fertilizer into our garden.

After the days work I feel absolutely awful. I might have accidentally overdone it and I curse myself for not listening to Jessie.

I feel my forehead and I'm burning up.

"Emily what's wrong? You look awful!" Jessie cries.

"I feel really sick." I mutter, there is no use trying to lie.

Jessie feels my forehead and her eyes go wide, confirming my earlier assumption. I have a fever.

"Could you please lift up your shirt Emily?" Jessie asks politely.

"What's going on?" Ethan asks.

"I think her wound is infected." Jessie states.

I look down to my wound and see that there are red lines running around my wound.

That can't be good.

"What do we do now?" Katherine cries.

"I can't treat the infection with what we have here. I need to get supplies from the hospital." Jessie says.

"It's a hospital. There is a massive chance it could be full of zombies." I wheeze feeling ready to pass out.

"This is our fault so we will go and get the supplies. Ethan, will you stay here and keep the farm and Emily safe?" Jessie says.

I don't even try to argue with them. I know it's futile.

"Thank you" I reply earnestly.

Jessie nods and within an hour they are gone. I pray that they will be safe.

"I need to clean my wounds." I groan.

This is going to hurt so bad.

"I'll help you if you want. Ethan says.

"Sure" I say with a small smile.

We head to the bathroom and I sit on the sink.

He takes some disinfectant and starts cleaning my knees.

"Hopefully this doesn't get infected too." He mummers.

He then moves on to my side. I lift up my shirt and he clean the wound.

My breath hitches when his fingers brush against my side.

"Sorry" He mutters.

"Nah its okay. Your hands are just cold." I whisper.

"Why are you still upset with Katherine and Jessie." I ask after a while of sitting in silence.

It was obvious that he was still upset. When Jessie or Kathrine tried talking to him, his answers would be short and to the point. He also tried avoiding them where he could.

"Why aren't you. They left you to die. What would I have done if you did die? You are the only person I have now. " Ethan rants, getting more and more upset.

"I asked them to leave me. You would have died if you stayed there." I say getting a bit frustrated myself.

Ethan stops cleaning my wound his chest rising and falling rapidly.

"So what? They should have ignored you." He snaps.

"It's like talking to a wall. Why do you even care so much? Yeah, we started this thing together but we still barely know each other." I ramble.

Suddenly Ethan moves towards me. He grabs me by my waist and pulls me towards him.

I gasp and wrap my legs around him.

He leans towards my ear.

Yes, you barely know me, but I know you We went to the same high school and I never had the guts to talk to you. Ive been quite fond of you from the time I laid my eyes on you. When you went to college, I thought I would never see you again and I cant believe the luck I had when you grabbed me at that party. So thats why Im so upsetits because I care about you. He whispers making me shiver.

His hand travels up my uninjured side and I run my hands through his hair.

"I'm quite fond of you too." I mummer with a slight, breathless chuckle.

His lips move towards mine.

Suddenly there is an ear deafening crash outside