Chapter 5

Most of them are slowly shambling along, but one of them is running on all fours. I can't even tell what it was before its too mutated and mangled.

It has long arms and sharp claws that click behind it as it runs. Letting out unearthly howls as it goes. It has strange blisters covering its skin and it has those signature purple eyes.

It jumps towards Ethan and before I can even think about it, I lunge forward and loge my crowbar into it.

The blow knocks it to the side and we all work together to kill the zombie. It takes a few blows before the creature stops moving.

When I look up again the zombies have gotten even closer to us.

"What now?" Jessie cries.

"Just run!" Ethan shouts.

We bolt towards the cars shoving zombies down instead of killing them. We can't waste time. If the zombies swarm the cars, it's over.

I still feel dizzy from my fall so I lag behind a little.

Just enough for a group of zombies to get in between me and the rest of the group.

"Emily!" I hear Ethan shriek.

"GO! Before they swarm the cars." I shout in reply.

"No!" Ethan protests but Katherine quickly shoves him into the backseat of the car while Jessie hops in and speeds off.

They are safe and that's all that matters. I would have never forgiven myself if they got hurt because of me. I start shoving my way towards the bar. Ethan still has the keys to his car so theres no use trying to make it to the remaining car.

I yank open the door and shove my crowbar into it to stop the zombies for a little while.

I frantically look around for an escape plan.

Finally, I spot a way to get to the roof of the bar. It's one of those ladders that you can pull down. I yank the string and the steps come tumbling down. I scramble up them.

Where am I going to go from here?

My blood runs cold when I hear another shriek. There are more of those creatures out there. How did the zombies turn into those creatures so quickly? There will probably be variations of them too.

I can't stay here. I look down to the next building. I can make that jump; it will just hurt.

I take a deep breath and start running. I leap into the air and tumble down onto the roof of the building.

I gasp as I feel pain shoot through my side. I look down. There is a glass shard sticking out of me. Of course, I have the rottenest luck in the world.

"This is really bad." I mummer.

I touch the wound a bit too hard and blood spurts out.

"Okay. Let's not do that again." I gasp.

I slowly get up and walk to the edge of the building. There is an open trash bin I can land in.

I try to land on my other side and it sort of works, but it still hurts when I land.

I become aware of how busted up my knees are when I climb out of the trash bin. Some of the garbage still sticking to me.

I start moving as fast as I can, away from the zombies, who are luckily still preoccupied with getting into the bar.

I walk for what feels like forever. Hopefully I can remember the way home.

I laugh in pure, adrenaline fuelled relief when I see a car parked in the middle of the road.

They waited for me. The closer I get the more I can hear shouting and arguing.

"Ethan! Katherine!" I shout pushing myself to move faster. I wouldnt say Im running, but Im wobbling at a slightly faster pace than my slow amble.

Ethan starts running towards me and catches me as I collapse into his arms.

"Emily just hold on, okay?" Ethan babbles and picks me up.

"Is she bitten?" Jessie asks.

Ethan looks me over. Gently moving my clothes around to check my wounds.

"No. There are only scratch marks and a glass shard sticking out of her.

Ethan carries me to the car and gently puts me in the backseat. Jessie gets in after him. She is a nurse after all. Katherine starts speeding like a maniac to get us home.

The edges on my vision start getting dark and my eyes flutter, almost closing.

"No... no. no. Emily you need to stay awake. Please just hold on." Ethan says on the verge of tears.

I can feel him squeezing my hand. I really try to stay awake. I don't even feel how much my body hurts anymore.

I can't fight it anymore. My eyes close and I fall into darkness.