Just to Hear You

The man stared into my eyes, waiting for an answer. But I couldn't understand him. He was screaming, but I had no idea what he was saying. I tried my hardest to read his lips, but his accent made it impossible. I felt the tears well up in my eyes as he spat yet another profanity at me, landing spit on my face. I could tell that he just got even more furious when a tear streamed down my cheek, but I couldn't help it. I was more terrified at that moment than any other moment in my life. The man was about to drag me out of the room while in handcuffs. That's when he walked in. The most beautiful person I've ever seen.

**The Day Before**

My best friend Peyton and I sat sipping our lattes at Starbucks. It was getting awkward, because she's the one that asked me to come there, and she hasn't said anything yet. I'm good at telling people's body language, and she looked really nervous and excited at the same time. I'm good at knowing people's mood because its a trait i picked up from being deaf. I got really sick when I was 2, and I lost all hearing in both of my ears. I wear hearing aids, but the only thing they do is help me feel movement around me, for safety.

"Pey?" I signed.

"Sorry. I zoned out.'' she signed. Peyton isn't deaf, and usually, that would cause me to not like hanging out with her. But her mom is deaf, so she knows sign language too. Most people think that I'm weird and antisocial, but I'm just scared. What if someone tries to talk to me and I can't understand anything they say to me? Plus, I have no way of saying anything back. I'm not comfortable with talking at all. I've tried before, and by the look on Peyton's face, no one can understand me anyway. So I stick with letting my family explain that I can't understand them.

''So why did you want me here today? I thought we were going to hang out tomorrow!''

She looked into my eyes and looked kind of scared...but also happy. For the millionth time ever, I got jealous of her. She's so beautiful. She had blue/grey eyes, light brown hair, and was about 5'5". I wish I was as beautiful as her. My eyes were a light blue and my hair was dark brown. I was only an inch taller than her, but she always wore high heels to make her taller.

''Well, I needed to talk to you about that, actually.''she signed.

''Okay. What is it?''

''Well...I'm really excited. I got one direction tickets AND vip passes for tomorrow night!!''

'That's great! So you just can't hang out tomorrow? that's fine! you could've just texted me!'

''That's not exactly it. None of my friends can go. They all have to work.''

''Okay? So who are you taking?''

''Well, I know you hate concerts, but PLEASE go with me! You can stand to hang out for a few hours if it means you get to meet One Direction afterwards!! Please?!''

''Babe, you know I love you, but I can't do anything at concerts! And the only time I can is when they play fast, upbeat songs where I can feel the beat! And you said they have a lot of slow songs!''

''But they have some fast songs! And you get to MEET One Direction!!''

I sighed. ''Okay, but you have to buy me a t-shirt!''

Peyton got out of her seat and started jumping up and down. She's the biggest fangirl in Texas. She had gotten tickets for this concert eight months ago. She's always telling me how amazing they are and I agree that they're hot, but I bet I would like them a lot better if I could hear their "angelic voices" as Peyton would say. I laughed at her (do you know how frustrating it is to not even hear yourself laugh?! Pretty damn frustrating.) and started to get up. She ran back over to me and gave me a hug so tight that I couldn't breathe. I told her that I had to get home to finish my Algebra homework. We said goodbye, and she thanked me about ten more times. The concert started at 7:30, but of course, we had to be there three hours early. We lived an hour away from Houston, where the concert was. So Peyton said she would pick me up at 3. I said okay and she drove me home. We said goodbye and I went inside to finish my homework.

My mom brought takeout chinese food home for us. It was just me, her and my brother living in our house. My dad left when I was little. I don't even remember him, and I don't want to. From what mom has told me, He's a douche. My mom works two shifts a day as a nurse. We live in an apartment with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. I have to share a bathroom with my 14 year old brother. Needless to say, it sucks. I finished my orange chicken and went into the bathroom to take a shower. I let the water get hot and looked at the clock. I only had 10 minutes before the water went cold, so I washed my hair super fast and shaved my legs. I got out with one minute to spare. I went back to my room, took out my contacts, and put on my dorky glasses. I got out my wallet. I had been saving up my money for a new iPhone 5, even though I already had the 4, but I needed a new outfit for the concert. So i took the money out, put it in my purse, and layed it by my door. I would get up early and go to the mall to get an outfit and be ready by 3.

When I got my pajamas on, I went right to bed. I needed to get some sleep, because I knew that Peyton would want to go out after the concert, even if it would be 3am. I woke up and looked at the clock. 2:18am. I was about to die of thirst, so I went to the kitchen and got a glass of water. I started to wash the cup out when I saw a shadow. Someone walked into the kitchen and waved at me. My mom.

''Hi honey.'' She signed

''Hi.''

''So why are you going to a concert tomorrow?''

''Because Pey doesn't have anyone to go and I don't mind it since I get to meet one direction.''

''Well, I want you to be careful. Don't go anywhere without Peyton. I mean it Audrey.''

''Mom, I'm 17. I know what to do at a concert.''

''Please, just be careful. I couldn't stand anything happening to you.''

''Okay.''

''Okay, now get to bed.''

''Night. Love you.''

''Love you too.''

I walked to bed, for some reason, being mad at my mom. I'm 17 years old and she thinks I can't go to a concert with my best friend?! Yeah right. I'm more mature than she was when she was my age. I got to my room and started thinking about being at that concert tomorrow and not knowing any of the songs, not being able to tell what they were saying the entire time, I mean, what if they talk to me backstage?! What do I do? Try to start signing, expect them to understand?! Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all...I mean I know how amazing it'll be to meet them, but there's no doubt in my mind that even if someone does talk to me, ill never be able to understand.

I sighed and decided to stop thinking about it. I made a promise to Peyton, and I was going to keep it. No matter what. But I couldn't stop this feeling that this might be a bad idea. When I finally fell asleep, I didn't dream. And when I woke up, That feeling was completely gone. I couldn't wait for 3 o' clock to come.

_____________________________________________________________________________

A/N- This is my first chapter to ever write! Comment and let me know what you think so far! Thanks for reading!!