23 - Save the Cats

Heyoooo I'm back! Wow, I updated two days in a row. This is what happens when I procrastinate lol

Luv u guys <3

Catra's POV

As soon as Darla landed, I took off running onto the planet. I was shocked to see how similar the world was to Etheria, and probably could have taken my helmet off, but I didn't have time. I felt sick, but I pushed the discomfort away and focused on why I came here in the first place.

I shrieked as something white shot at me, ducking just in time. I glanced in the direction of the vortex, which was quite a while away from here, and was alarmed to see small spots of light shooting out of it in all directions. That couldn't be a good thing.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a baby crying. I turned around, and ran over towards the noise. I noticed a bundle lying on the ground, but there wasn't anyone around it. I picked up the baby, pulled the blanket down, and gasped.

It looked like me.

"Catra!"

"Adora?" I questioned. That dummy followed me out here!

With the baby pressed close to my chest, I ran over to the sound of Adora's voice. I finally found her standing at the top of a hill.

"What is it? What's wrong?" I panted once I was beside her.

All she could do was point.

I glanced down to where she was staring, and was horrified to see an entire village destroyed. Bursts of light continued to shoot out from the vortex, many of them landing on the civilization. I felt the urge to throw up again when I noticed multiple residents were littered all over the ground, unmoving.

"Catra, get back here!" Glimmer ordered over the communication device on my helmet. I placed the baby into Adora's arms, then ripped my helmet off and shoved it over my girlfriend's head. It's not like she needed it to breathe, I just didn't want to listen to Glimmer's whines. Adora could deal with that instead.

"Where are you going?!" Adora demanded as I ran over to the demolished village, which was still being hit by blasts from the vortex.

"Bring the kid back to the ship," I ordered.

"But—"

"Go!"

I didn't look back to see if she listened. I ran through the area, searching for survivors. I checked the vitals on all the civilians I found, but none of them were... alive.

I felt my heart rate speed up after I couldn't find any signs of life on the last person I found, but then my ear twitched as I heard the faint sound of laboured breathing.

I pinpointed the source, which was a pile of rubble, and tore through the fallen pieces of wood and stone. Underneath all the debris was a child, probably no older than three. They were a lighter colour than I was, but we were definitely the same species. The child wasn't fully unconscious, but they seemed paralyzed with fear. I carefully pulled them out of the rubble, and with the young cat hybrid in my arms, I started to run back to the ship. I glanced over my shoulder at the village, feeling awful that I couldn't save anyone else.

With every step I took, I became more and more fatigued. My heart skipped a beat, and my legs suddenly gave out. With a grunt, I collapsed onto the grass. The last thing I saw before blacking out was someone dressed in white and gold running towards me.

Some time later

I awoke to a throbbing in my head and pain all over my body. I attempted to sit up, but failed.

"Hey," Adora said. She was siting next to my bed.

"Oh... hey... Adora."

"How are you feeling?"

"Just peachy," I said, my voice raspy. "What happened?"

"You pushed yourself too hard. You shouldn't have gone out there when you weren't feeling well."

"I'm fine," I grumbled. I tried to prove it by pushing myself out of bed, but once again, I failed.

"You need to rest, Catra. Entrapta says your body is reacting badly to being exposed to a high-pressure environment with limited oxygen, and you need time to recoiperate."

"I endure high-pressure environments all the time—I live with you guys, don't I?" I said, still trying to push myself up. Argh, since when was my head so damn heavy?

"I'm talking about physical pressure."

With a flustered sigh, I gave up trying to lift the side of my head off the pillow. Adora offered me a glass of water, which I pushed away.

"Are the kids okay? The ones we rescued?" I asked.

"Yeah, the baby's pretty healthy. The toddler is still shaken, but they're not too hurt—just a few scrapes and bruises. Roeand y/n are taking care of them both right now."

"What about Angella?"

"She's awake, but isn't fully responsive yet."

"Will she recover?"

"Glimmer thinks so. She probably just needs some rest, like you."

I rolled my eyes. "I told you, Adora. I'm fine."

She leaned over and kissed my forehead gently. "You will be. Once you rest."

"But I don't wanna rest."

Adora laughed. "Stop being so difficult and just go to sleep!"

I reached for her hand and intertwined my fingers with hers. "Alright, but only if you stay in here with me."

I pulled on her arm, trying to get her to lay down beside me. Adora smiled softly, then climbed onto the bed. I snuggled up close to her, and with her arms around me, I had no trouble falling asleep.