15 - Narrow Escape

A/n

Sorry for taking so long to update. I was focusing on a different story, but I finally sat down and finished this chapter!

———-

Y/n's POV

"Um, Catra?" Adora asked, leaning forward and hanging onto the seat in front of her. "Are you sure you know what you're doing?"

"Not a clue," Catra answered, just as she turned the wheel sharply to avoid getting hit by another car. We were still heading in the opposite direction as the rest of the vehicles on the multi lane highway.

"Pull over!" I ordered.

"Why? They'll catch us if I slow down!"

"You're not supposed to run from the cops, Catra! Besides, they can't even see us!"

"I'd listen to them, if I were you," Roe warned. "Y/n hates it when someone else is driving their car."

"Fine! But if those whackados find us, it's not my fault."

Catra steered over to the shoulder of the road and put her foot on the brake. I reached forward and put the car in park, since she didn't seem to know she had to do that.

"Out," I commanded, opening the door closest to me. She obeyed, and we marched around the vehicle to switch spots. What I forgot about, however, was the Melog was in the front seat, too; when Catra got up, the creature did too, and the vehicle became visible again.

"Dammit," I muttered, as the police started coming after us. They must have recognized me and Catra before we got in the car. Either that or they were suspicious of a vehicle that just appeared out of nowhere.

"They're getting closer!" Bow shrieked.

"Drive!" Catra ordered.

I shot her a look—I hated it when people bossed me around—but I stepped on the gas pedal and started driving along the shoulder. I knew that what I was doing was against the law, but at this point, I didn't care; it was more important that I got my new friends out of here. I didn't tell them this because I didn't want to alarm them, but I was worried that if the cops saw them up close, they might take them away to confinement or to be studied. They weren't regular humans, after all.

"Oh, so I'm not allowed to break the rules but you are?" Catra said angrily.

"You don't know how to drive!" I shot back. "I don't want anybody dying tonight."

I drove for some time, going dangerously fast, until I could see their ship up ahead. I made a risky move and made a hard left turn, sending us down the grassy hill. Miraculously, the car didn't flip.

"Oh, no," Adora muttered, staring out the window. There were a bunch of cops standing around the space craft, putting up caution tape around the site.

"What do we do?" Glimmer asked. "If we try to get to Darla, they'll spot us!"

"We'll just have to sneak by them," Adora said. "Melog can hide us."

"Uh... that might be a problem," Catra said. Everyone looked over at her to see Melog asleep on her lap. She tried poking them awake, but they didn't stir.

"Oookay, then," I said. "We'll have to come up with a different plan."

"Why don't I turn into She-Ra and go distract them?" Adora suggested. By her tone, I couldn't tell if she were joking or not.

"Pfft, that's a terrible idea," Catra laughed, but Adora didn't listen.

"For the honour of Grayskull!" she yelled as she stepped out of the car. She turned into an eight-foot-tall warrior.

"Wait, what are you doing?" Catra questioned.

"I'll lead them away from Darla while you guys get on board!"Adora shouted, running towards the cops with her sword raised.

"What are you talking about?!" Catra yelled back.

Adora ran to one of the police cars parked nearby and smashed it with her weapon. The whole vehicle burst into flames.

"Ugh, I hate it when she ignores me," Catra groaned.

"Go!" Bow ordered, yeeting Glimmer off his lap and out the door.

Roeand I exchanged glances as Catra picked up Melog and followed the pair out into the open, then wordlessly chose to join them. I don't know why we made that decision... we could have easily just turned the car around and escaped, but I guess I was starting to feel a little responsible for our new friends.

Adora was being chased by the cops as we headed for the ship. I shrieked as they started shooting at her, and I stopped running for a second, afraid that she had gotten hurt. The gunshots continued, but Adora went all Wonder-Woman-style on them and blocked all the bullets with the armor around her wrists.

"Y/n!" Roe cried. "Come on!"

I shook my head to stop being distracted, and went to get caught up to the group. Together, we headed to the ship, but then Glimmer remembered something.

"We don't have the metal!" she said. "Can we still take off without it?"

Bow quickly got down underneath the spacecraft. I bent over to see what he was doing under there, and immediately noticed a wide tear in the bottom of the ship, exposing a whole bunch of wires and stuff.

"Adora!" Bow called.

She heard her name and came running. Adora saw Bow beneath the ship, and slid under Darla. There was a big crunching sound as she pushed the sides of the tear together, and I watched as Bow took an arrow from his quiver and shook it. The arrowhead lit itself on fire, and he used that to melt the now-overlapping sides together. It wasn't perfect, but it seemed like it would do the job.

"Get on the ship!" He ordered.

I didn't know if he was talking to me and Roe or not, but I didn't ask to find out. The two of us followed Glimmer and Catra into the ship, and I looked over my shoulder to see Bow and Adora right behind us.

"Quick! Close the dock!" Adora shouted as we got on board. Glimmer hit a button, and the ramp we had just run up closed. "Darla, get us out of here!"

"Administrator recognized," the ship replied, making me shriek. "Commencing launch procedures."

The engine didn't sound very stable as it started to whir. The spacecraft suddenly got lifted a couple feet in the air, and as Bow sat in a big chair in the middle of the ship, he took control of the steering. He moved his hands upwards, and Darla listened to the command.

"Hang onto something!" Bow advised.

I went to the wall and grabbed a ridge to grab ahold of. The next thing I knew, the ship was in the air and heading for the edge of the atmosphere. I looked over to Roe, silently asking if we had made a mistake coming on board with them, but she gave a small shrug as if to say 'too late now.'

Darla made it up into space, and the Etherians all cheered happily. As glad as I was to be alive, I was freaking out inside, and wasn't able to join in on the enthusiasm. The past ten minutes had just begun to sink in... I had just joined a bunch of aliens on their spaceship and was now travelling through space.

What have I done?