18 - The Vortex

Adora's POV

We spent the night in the palace, then we boarded the ship and set off again. This time, however, Bow convinced Entrapta to come; we kind of needed her to find out where Angella might be.

"Hmm, let's see," Entrapta muttered after we were far enough into space. She started pressing a few buttons and studying a tracker pad that was built into Darla.

"Is her hair moving by itself?" Y/n asked, gapping at Entrapta. "How does it do that?"

"Uh... I dunno. We've never actually addressed it," I said. "It's probably some kind of robotics thing she invented."

"Makes sense," y/n admitted with a shrug. "So, do we have a plan, or are we just winging it?"

"What? Pssh. Of course we have a plan! We... uh... okay fine. No. No we don't."

"Is this a regular thing with you guys?"

"Pretty much," Catra said, resting her arm on my shoulder. "You got a problem with that?"

Y/n laughed. "48 hours ago, maybe. But now—after befriending a group of aliens and travelling through space—I think I'm pretty much up for anything."

"Oh, well, that's good, because you're about to be thrown into a life-or-death situation," Entrapta called. "Ah, ha! I have a reading!"

I rushed over to her. "Do you know where Angella is?"

"Possibly. The data shows that there's a vortex right in the middle of these three stars," she explained, gesturing to three co-ordinates. "But what's the real important thing here is that based on the frequencies, I'd say this particular vortex is as old as Angella's been missing."

"Okay," I breathed, trying to process the information. "If she's in there, how do we get her out?"

"It's most likely that she'd be suspended in the the center of it, but I'm unsure about how to reach her from there. I'll have to collect some more data."

"Go ahead," I said, then turned to Bow. "We should start thinking about ways we can rescue her without driving the entire ship into the vortex."

"Cool!" Roe cheered. "Now let's go save Angelika!"

Glimmer groaned. "Angella! It's ANGELLA!"

———time skip because why not———

The vortex was in sight, and it was massive. As we got closer, I started to explain the plan Bow and I came up with.

"Bow's the best at piloting so he's going to be steering the ship. Entrapta, keep an eye on the readings to make sure the vortex is stable and let us know if anything changes."

"I'll keep both my eyes on them!" she laughed.

"Great. Roe, you'll be holding the boarding dock open; make sure it doesn't close automatically. Glimmer and Catra, you'll be at the edge of the dock holding the rope attached to me, and y/n, you'll be keeping them anchored—they'll be attached to ropes as well, and you'll be standing at the top of the dock making sure they don't get pulled into space."

"Wait a second—you're the one going after Angella?" Catra clarified. "Why does it always have to be you?"

"I was supposed to shut down the portal, not her," I said. "I should be the one to get her out."

"But you could die in there, Adora!"

"I'll go," Glimmer said. "She's my mom."

"No way, Sparkles. It's my fault she's even in this situation in the first place. If anyone's going to put themselves at risk, it'll be me."

"Ooh, drama," Y/n muttered.

The three of us started arguing about who should be going into the vortex. Catra was insistent, and eventually Glimmer gave up. I still persisted; I didn't want Catra's life to be in danger.

"Catra, I told you already! You're already forgiven!"

"It doesn't matter! I made a mistake, and now I have to fix it."

"You know that She-Ra is far more likely to survive if something goes wrong! Why won't you let me go?"

"What do you think?! I can't lose you again!"

I went silent. "Catra..."

My girlfriend's claws retracted, and her ears went down as she took a step back and stared at the ground. "I... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell."

I went over and hugged her. "You're not going to lose me, Catra."

"How do you know that? What if you go in there and never come out?"

"That's not going to happen," I assured her. "I'll be going in for a few minutes, then I'll be back in no time."

She gripped onto me tightly, her forehead digging into my shoulder.

"You promise?" she whispered meekly.

"I promise."

————-

A/n

Wow, it's been ages since I uploaded. Sorry. I'm kind of at a loss for inspiration right now.