4 - Vulnerability

The video above has absolutely nothing to do with this chapter lol

-----------------------

Adora's POV

I hung out with Bow and Glimmer as Catra traveled around the room. I wasn't sure what she was doing exactly, but she was striking up conversations with just about everyone here.

"Hey, Adora," someone said behind me. I smiled; I knew that voice anywhere.

"Hey! Where have you been?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"Apologizing," Catra said with a shrug.

"Are you okay?" I asked, noticing she looked a little sad.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she answered, brushing me off. "I told everyone in this room how sorry I am... well, except for you guys."

"Oh, Catra, you don't have to—" Glimmer started.

"Yes, I do. I'm so sorry, Spar—Glimmer. I caused you and your kingdom so much pain. There's no excuse that makes up for it. And Bow—"

"Catra, stop," Bow interrupted, grabbing her hands. "You don't have to keep apologizing to us. We've already forgiven you."

"We know how sorry you are," Glimmer added. "You tell us every day, and you've already started repairing the damage you did. We all make mistakes, and I think it's time you started forgiving yourself."

"She's right," I said. "You say that you want to stop hurting me, seeing you hate yourself like this is painful. You deserve happiness just like the rest of us; you helped save Etheria."

"That was after I almost destroyed it," she grumbled. "More than once."

"Horde Prime would have found us eventually," Bow said. "If it weren't for you, Glimmer wouldn't be with us today. If it weren't for you, Adora would have died in the heart. You're a hero, Catra."

Catra looked like she was about to cry. This wasn't a side of her that I got to see very often, but I didn't mind it. I actually liked the fact that she felt comfortavle enough to be vulnerable around us.

I buried her in a hug, and was immediately joined by Bow and Glimmer. We stayed in the group hug for a few seconds before Catra started to squirm.

"Okay, okay!" she laughed. "I've had enough hugs for one day."

————

The party was coming to an end, and I snuck away with Catra. We arrived at the wing that had all our bedrooms, and as I reached for the door handle, I noticed Catra struggling with something near Glimmer's door.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm trying to write a note," she said, sticking her tongue out as she concentrated on using the pencil. "I want to thank her for the party."

My heart fluttered. "Aww, really?"

"Yes," she said, a little annoyed. "I'm trying to be nice. Now stop making that dumb face."

I tried my best to wipe away my smile, but it wouldn't go away; I was so proud of Catra for even attempting to be kind. I watched as she slipped the piece of paper under Glimmer's door, then I grabbed her hand and pulled her into my room.

"Hey!" she protested as I yanked her through the door. "What are you... this is your room."

"Yeah, I was wondering if you wanted to spend the night?"

Catra's ears perked up, and her eyes grew hopeful. "Really?"

I nodded. "I know sleeping by youself takes time to get used to."

"O-Okay," she agreed as I took her hand.

Melog walked into the room just before I closed the door, and the adorable creature made itself comfortable on the cushions near the window. I gently led Catra to my bed, then let go of her hand to take off my shoes. I let my hair down, then went to my closet to grab something comfortable to wear to sleep. I picked out a set of pyjamas—a grey undershirt and shorts—and then I threw a second set to Catra.

"Uh... what are these?" she asked.

"They're for sleeping, silly."

She looked down at the pyjamas, then back up at me, confused.

"Don't tell me you sleep in your clothes," I sighed.

"Um... okay, I won't tell you."

I laughed, then went over to her. "You'll be more comfortable in these, I promise."

Catra looked at the pyjamas again, then seemed to decide to give them a try. She went into the bathroom to go get changed.

I put my own PJs on, then as I waited for Catra to come out, I went to over to the waterfall. I sat at the edge and put my feet in the pool, which, according to Glimmer, wasn't what it was for, but I had never paid attention to that advice.

"Hey, uh, Adora, I kinda had to cut a hole in the shorts," Catra said as she came out of the bathroom. "Sorry."

"That's okay," I assured her, holding out my hand so she'd come over. "You can keep the set; it's time you had one anyway."

"Thanks," she muttered. She took my hand and sat next to me, but she didn't put her feet in the water. "What's the deal with waterfalls in Bright Moon? They're everywhere."

"I think they're just for decoration," I said. "Glimmer laughed at me when I asked if they're for bathing."

"Wait, they aren't for bathing? Then how do you stay so clean?"

"There's a tub in the bathroom. You know, the big white basin with the faucet."

"Oh, is that what that's for? I thought it was a place for storing food."

I laughed. "If you haven't been using it, how do you shower?"

"I... don't."

"Well, you should. You've got quite a few wounds from the battle, and you need to keep yourself clean to make sure they heal without an infection."

Catra curled her knees into her chest. "I don't like water."

"I know you don't, but I want you to heal."

She glanced away. Something seemed off; I knew Catra didn't like getting wet, but I could always convince her to shower at least once a week when we were in the Fight Zone. So why did she look so hesitant?

"Is there something you're not telling me?" I asked. "If you don't like the bathtub, I'm sure we can install a shower in your room."

"No, it's not that..."

"Well, then come on!" I said, hopping into the water.

"What are you doing?!"

"I know how much you like to break the rules," I said. "Join me?"

Catra shook her head, her eyes glossy. She backed up away from the edge of the water with her arms wrapped around herself, and dug her claws into her arms.

"Catra?" I questioned.

She burst into tears again.