19 - The Spontaneous Sacrifice

Disclaimer: I've never been on a space ship before so I have no idea how accurate this will be

Glimmer's POV

Entrapta warned us that we were getting close to the vortex. Bow leapt into the captain's chair, and took Darla off of autopilot so he could be in control.

Adora was still hugging Catra, so I thought it would be best to let them be together for a few moments longer.  I grabbed both Y/n and Roe's hands and led them to the room with the spacesuits. I handed them Bow's and Adora's suits since they wouldn't be needing them, and then the three of us got changed. Y/n put their's on impressively fast, but it was a bit of a struggle for Roe. She kept losing her balance as she tried to step into the suit.

"Merde!" she exclaimed as she fell over for the second time. I didn't know what merde meant, but judging by Roe's tone of voice, it was probably a swearword.

Y/n laughed and offered Roe their hand. "You're really bad at this."

"You don't need to rub it in," Roe grumbled as y/n helped her up.

"It's a good thing you won't be going out into space; you'd probably look lying a flailing frog. How do you say that in French, again? Green-Louie?"

"Grenouille," Roe corrected.

"Gren-ouie?"

The French girl grimanced. "Eh, close enough."

Catra suddenly appeared in the doorway, so I tossed her a space suit. She put it on quickly, then the four of us headed onto the boarding dock where Adora was waiting for us.

"Aww, so cute," y/n said, noticing Catra's adorable helmet.

Catra growled. "I. Am. Not. Cute!"

"Yeah, yeah," y/n muttered, waving her off. They went over to find a rope before Catra could get angrier.

"You ready for this?" I asked Catra.

"I have to be, don't I?" she sighed. "Come on, let's go get set up."

Catra and I attached ropes to the harnesses on our suits, then y/n picked up the other end of them. They looped the ropes through a hook on the wall, and tied a secure not.

Adora was standing near the door to the loading dock, trying to summon her sword and turn into She-Ra. I could see her struggling, but I didn't approach her because I was afraid of breaking her concentration.

"This is taking a while," I whispered.

"I got this," Catra said, and headed over to her girlfriend. "Hey, Adora."

Adora snapped out of her zone as soon as she heard the seductive words. Catra placed her hand on the back of Adora's neck to pull her in close, and kissed her gently on the lips.

"Aw!" Roe squealed. "C'est adorable!"

"I think you mean Adora-ble," y/n snickered.

Adora hadn't transformed yet, but the kiss seemed to give her the confidence she needed. She raised her arm up, and succeeded in summoning her sword.

"For the honour of Grayskull!" she shouted. Light coated her body, and made her grow two feet taller. Her hair lengthened and a crown that resembled the mask Catra used to wear appeared on her head. 

"Alright, let's do this," said confidently. 

"You still want the ropes?" I asked. 

She nodded. Good, because I think Catra would have forced her to wear one even if she didn't want to. She-Ra was capable of navigating through space on her own, but we needed a back up plan just in case. There wasn't a place on Adora to hook the latch onto, so we just had to tie it around her waist.

"If something goes wrong, tug on the rope three times and we'll pull you out," Catra said. 

"The same goes for you guys; use the same signal if you need me to come back," she agreed. 

Darla stopped moving suddenly, and started to shake a little. I reached for the side of my helmet and pressed the button to communicate with Bow.

"What's happening?" I asked him. 

"We've had to put the ship into resistance mode so we wouldn't get sucked into the vortex. You guys better open the dock soon, because I don't know how long Darla can last like this."

"Got it," I said, and after confirmation that everyone was ready, I gave Roe the okay to open the boarding dock.

 We must have underestimated the gravitational pull of the vortex, because we immediately started getting sucked out of the ship. Adora was prepared, and let herself head straight for the middle of the swirling mass. I resisted the urge to scream as the rope went to full tension and the portal's by-product pulled me and Catra towards its center. Luckily, y/n had a firm grip on their end of the rope, and managed to keep me and Catra from flying away. 

"What do we do?" Catra asked me throught he communication device. 

"I don't know," I replied honestly. 

I thought for a minute, then looked back at y/n. I tried to get their attention, but my eyes widened in fear when I noticed they were trying to keep Roe from being sucked off of Darla. I immediatly felt horrible for putting y/n in this position; they were currently the only thing the four of us were relying on to keep us alive. 

Catra kept her eyes on the vortex, but I was watching y/n and Roe as they both started to reel us back in. I started to climb up the rope as my communicator crackled to life again. 

"Glimmer? What's going on back there? Are you okay?" Bow asked. 

"There's a lot more pull than we thought," I said, trying to hide the panic in my voice. "I think we're starting to lose control of the situation..."

"Darla's engine is failing," he admitted fearfully. "Warn the others that we need to get out of here as soon as possible."

"Catra, let Adora know she has to come back in while I pull us up to the top of the dock," I ordered once Bow hung up. 

She nodded and started pulling on the line. My worry increased tenfold as the combined efforts of y/n, Roe and I pulling us up were no match for the external drag. 

"She's not responding," Catra said worridly. "I think she's actually moving farther away."

"Argh! I should have known this was a bad idea," I groaned. "Start pulling her up; we have to get back on the ship, now." 

Catra tried, but nothing happened. 

"What if she found Angella?" she wondered. "Maybe she's not returning because she needs more time."

"It's too risky to keep her there; we have to bring her back before she and the rest of us get hurt."

"Are you all back yet?" Bow asked. 

"No, Adora's still stuck in the vortex, and we can't pull ourselves up when we're so close to the edge of it," I said. "You'll have to start flying away--we'll be able to climb back up once there's less of a pull." 

"I can't!" his voice cracked. "If Adora's not responding, then she might be trapped. If the ship moves away, there's a chance the rope will snap, and she won't be able to get out at all."

"What are we supposed to do then?!" I yelled.

"I don't know!"

"Uh, Sparkles?" Catra asked worridly. I followed her gaze to see that the middle of my rope was starting to tear. 

"Uh, oh," I breathed. "That's not good."

Without telling  me what she was doing, Catra pulled me towards her, and unhooked the latch from her rope and attatched it to my harness. She then took the clasp with the breaking line for herself. 

"What are you doing?" I asked once she finished the switch. 

"If one of us is going to survive, it's going to be you," she said, her voice determined. 

"What? No--"

The next thing I know, the line breaks, and Catra gets pulled into the portal.