10 - The Stranger

Adora's POV

"Well, there's only one way to find out," Bow said, and took a step forward.

"What are you doing?!" Catra demanded, pulling him away from the road. "If we try to cross here, we'll be hit by one of those... those things."

"How else are we gonna get to the other side?"

Catra thought for a moment, then started looking left and right. "There must be a way around..."

"Why don't we just follow the path until we reach the end of it?" Glimmer suggested.

"Good plan," I said, then I noticed Melog staring at the road. "Uh, Catra? Maybe Melog should stay with Darla... I don't want them getting hurt."

"We can't do that!" she protested. "We don't know how long it'll take to find supplies to repair the ship."

"I know, but this planet doesn't have magic. If someone sees them, there could be consequences. Not to mention how dangerous this place seems—what if Melog gets hit by one of those vehicles?"

Catra sighed. "Okay, fine. I'll tell them."

After Catra asked Melog to wait with Darla, we walked along the busy road, following Catra, who yelped every time one of the vehicles honked. I laughed at her, but then she'd growl at me, so I quickly learned to keep my mouth shut.

"Argh, this stretches for miles!" Glimmer groaned. "There's no way we're making it around."

"There has to be another way," Bow said, trying to keep our spirts up.

As if the universe heard us, a small vehicle suddenly pulled over onto the shoulder of the road.

"Ugh, stupid car!" someone groaned as they opened the door and slammed it shut.

My friends and I exchanged glances. Who was this person, and could we trust them?

The stranger spotted us and shrieked. "What are you doing here? It's dangerous to be camping out beside a highway! And at midnight, no less."

"We're not camping out," Catra said, using air quotations. "We're trying to find a way around this thing."

"The exit isn't for another few kilometres," the stranger said. They looked us up and down. "Uh... are you cosplayers or something?"

"What's a cos-player?" I asked. "Some kind of cosmic athlete or something?"

They laughed. "Huh, I guess you're not. So why are you wearing costumes?"

"Costumes?" Glimmer repeated. "These are our clothes."

"Ooookay then," the stranger said doubtfully. "What are you doing out here, anyway?"

"Our ship crashed, and we're trying to figure out what to do," Catra said. "So, unless you're going to help us, you can be on your way."

"My car's engine overheated; I can't go anywhere until it cools down. And what do you mean by ship?"

I pointed behind me using my thumb. The stranger walked over to the edge of the hill and looked at where I gestured to, and they gasped.

"What. The hell. Is that?"

"That's Darla," Bow explained. "She's our space ship."

"Space ship? What are you, aliens?!"

"No, um..." I started. "I mean, maybe technically we are, since we're from a different planet."

"Oh my gods," the stranger muttered, bringing their hands to their head. "This can't be real."

"Snap out of it!" Catra ordered. "This is real, and we need someone to help us navigate this world. Now, where can we find replacement parts for Darla?"

"A mechanic? I don't know! I've never seen an aircraft like that, not even in movies!"

"What's a movie?" Glimmer asked.

The stranger stared at her. "Wow, I guess you really are from another planet."

"I know we just met," Bow started. "But we really need don't know what we're doing. Can you please bring us to the mechanic? We'll leave you alone after that, I promise."

The stranger sighed. "I couldn't even if I wanted to. Like I said, there's something wrong with my car. I'm stuck here until it stops being such pain in the neck."

"Bow can fix it!" I excliamed. "He's Bright Moon's tech master."

"Adora!" he hissed. "I've never even seen a vehicle like this before; how the heck am I supposed to repair one?"

"You have to try," I whispered. "If you succeed, maybe our new friend will bring us to that mechanic."

Bow took a deep breath and sighed. "Okay, fine. I'll give it a go."

He walked over to the car to take a look. He circled it a few times, then opened the front of it. A bunch of steam came out.

"That doesn't look good," he said.

"Can you fix it?" the stranger asked.

"Maybe... Glimmer, can you go bring some tools from the ship?"

She nodded and hurried back to Darla. Bow examined the car's inside while he waited for Glimmer to return. Once she did, he took the tools from her and laid them out on the ground.

"I don't know how long this is going to take," Bow admitted. "Feel free to make yourself comfortable."