Nightmare

Welcome back everyone! As I said before, my story sort of took a detour previously so I've been a little apprehensive about writing this chapter because I wasn't really sure where it was going. I finally decided I just had to start somewhere. And where I ended up gave me a chill. I hope you like this one! If you do, please vote or leave a comment. You can also leave a comment if you don't like something. I promise my feelings won't be hurt (okay, not that much anyway). Enjoy and stay healthy everyone!

As always, nothing is mine except the storyline.

Song List:

Survivor (Epic Cover - "Tomb Raider - Trailer 2 Music")

Walk on Fire by RAIGN

Warrior (Stand Up) by Hidden Citizens and Rayelle

There was only one thing that was going to give Wei Ying any sort of chance to catch up to Wang Xian. Wang probably still followed the Lan Sect daily ritual of sleeping at 9pm and waking at 5am.  That would give Wei Ying 8 hours extra travel time every day if he didn't stop.  So that's exactly what he did.  He walked, without stopping for sleep or rest, each day trying to stop Wang Xian before he reached Gusu and Cloud Recesses. 

His mind was constantly racing with scenarios of what might happen if he was too late and Lan Xichen, Lan Qiren, or, worse yet, Lan Sizhui encountered Wang Xian before he could explain what had happened.  

Would he even confess to his lie?  

He would have to, Wang Xian knew who he was, sort of.  Everyone would know that Wei Ying had met Wang Xian before Wei Ying had returned to Cloud Recesses without his Lan Zhan and had lied about not finding him.  Then he would have to explain himself and probably submit to whatever punishment Lan Qiren deemed necessary.

And what would Wang Xian think?  It would be revealed that he was actually Lan Zhan, the great Hanguang-jun, one of the Twin Jades.  Would he be angry with Wei Ying, or as he knew him, Mo Xuanyu, for not telling him the truth?  And just what was the truth?  Mo Xuanyu wasn't really who he said he was either.  That was only a half lie but he didn't think Wang Xian would think of it that way.  Wei Ying's mind spun as everything that might happen began to seem more real to him.   

Wei Ying knew the immense toll it would take on his already weakened and stressed body to travel non-stop but it was the only way to prevent Wang Xian from being seen by someone that knew him and all the lies be thrust into the light, shattering everyone's lives involved.  With that thought, Wei Ying increased his already fast pace.

On the fourth night, Wei Ying, his steps slower and heavier than they had been the previous days, thought he was hallucinating when he heard a sword clanging in echoes to his left.  He feet stopped for the first time in days and his ears listened intently.  He could hear grunts and low growls but they didn't belong to a beast.  These were from a human.  A very familiar human.  

Wang Xian!

Wei Ying rushed blindly towards the sounds.  His steps faltered but his determination did not.  When he reached the scene, the situation sent his mind racing out of control and his heart hammering in his already pained chest.  It was a nightmare that Wei Ying had dreamt many times and now it was real, right in front of him. 

He stared unblinking as Wang Xian desperately tried to fight off a horde of puppets that had surrounded him.  His sword movements were smooth and precise, his body remembering more about his past than his mind, but it was obviously still not enough to defeat this many puppets.  Wei Ying could see that his footing was beginning to falter and his arms were shaking with each fierce strike of the sword. There was blood on his clothes but Wei Ying could not tell if it was from Wang Xian.