six

Liam's POV.

“We’re here.” Zayn informed, parking the car into a vacant spot close to the mall. We had taken one of their cheaper cars to the mall. When I asked them why we couldn’t take the Range Rover they just responded with a simple, “We like to change it up.”

I sighed, looking out of the tinted windows at the large shopping center. This is actually one of the few places that I had been in before. My ‘family’ used to bring me with them when they went shopping so I could carry their bags. It wasn’t pleasant memories, but they were still memories.

The boys had leant me some of their smaller clothes to wear on this outing. I was dressed in simple blue jeans, which were held up by a tightly buckled belt, and a grey knitted jumper. On top of that, they had me bundled up with Harry’s same jacket that he had given me last night, some gloves and a beanie. All of the articles of clothing were a bit big, but it was still better than anything I’d worn before.

“Now Liam,” Niall started, turning around in the passenger seat to look at me in the back. “There are some ground rules that we would like to cover before we go in, alright?”

I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest. Rules? I’m not fucking five.

“Liam, I’m being serious. Do you understand?” He spoke sternly, looking at me intently like I had no choice but to listen.

I nodded, huffing a bit under my breath because I never liked it when people told me what to do.

“Good. The rules are simple. You stay near one of us at all times, you don’t talk to anyone who comes up to you, and you don’t argue. Seem easy enough?”

I nodded again, “Can we just go now?” I whined, jumping a bit in my seat to show my irritation.

On the streets, there are no rules, and if there is, I don’t follow them. I break them.

-----

It hadn’t even been five minutes that we were in the mall and I already got in trouble. I strayed a bit too far from the boys for their liking, and now I have to suffer through the embarrassment. Harry is making me hold his hand for the remainder of the outing, keeping me pressed against his side like some child.

At first I didn’t obey, saying there was no way in hell I would hold one of their hands in public.

“Liam, now.” Harry growled, trying to grab my gloved hand only for me to quickly move it away.

“No! I’m not a child!” I whined in protest, backing away from him.

“Well you’re sure acting like one right now. Now, grab Harry’s hand so we can start shopping.” Louis said firmly, grabbing one of my arms and dragging me back to Harry’s side. He didn’t let go of my arm, only holding it tighter until I would grasp Harry’s hand.

“I won’t do it, and you can’t make me.” I grumbled, looking down at the ground. I can’t believe they’re scolding me like this in public. I can feel people’s stares on us, so I opted to keep my gaze casted downwards.

“We can. You made us a deal. Do you remember what that was?” Louis continued, crouching down in front of me so he could see my face, all the while still keeping a hold on my arm.

I kept my mouth shut, frowning angrily at the floor at the fact that they’re bringing that deal up.

“You promised to let us take care of you, and if our way of taking care of you is making you hold one of our hands so you won’t wonder off on your own, then you’re going to do it.” Louis continued, lowering his voice so only me and the other boys could hear. I know he’s aware of the looks from the other customers, but I don’t think he cares as much as I do.