xii. running away.

"Do we need to get your stuff from your hotel?" Marisol asked, stuffing clothes in her suitcase.

"No," Colette responded, "I talked to my manager. She sent a driver to bring it to the building."

Marisol nodded. She grabbed her laptop and plopped it on top of her clothes before forcing in her toiletries and zipping it shut. "You settled everything?"

Colette scratched the back of her head. "Yeah, Gina wasn't happy, but she understood. She talked to the film company about it. They decided to delay the filming until all of the protests settled. According to them, it's for my safety, but I think it's more because the director doesn't want the trouble." Silence lapsed between them as Marisol continued buzzing around her room, checking for any essentials she might have forgotten.

Colette cleared her throat. "What about you? How'd your job take it?"

"Isaac was upset, but he ended up okay. I have a couple weeks of vacation days plus sick leave. After that, though..." Marisol pursed her lips, trailing off.

"You'll lose your job?" Colette offered.

"Yes."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it. You saved someone. That's worth more than my job."

Colette didn't argue. Marisol could hear the rustling of the sheets as the model stood from her spot on the bed. "I just got a text from my manager. My suitcase is downstairs. I'm going to get it."

Marisol looked up. "Do you need me to come with you?"

"No, I'll be fine." Colette walked out of the bedroom. A few seconds later, Marisol could hear the distant sound of the front door opening and closing.

Marisol paced around her room. It was 5 P.M. Her life had been turned upside down less than 6 hours ago. She grabbed her camera bag off of her desk. She hadn't done her own photography in a while, but she needed something to distract her while she hid out in rural South Dakota.

A familiar voice sounded from the front of her room. "Bringing that?"

Nevada leaned against the doorframe, arms crossed.

"Yeah, I heard South Dakota is pretty."

Nevada gave a half hearted chuckle.

"What are you going to do? Won't it be hard to stream from home?"

"No. My old PC is there. It's a bit outdated, but still runs well. I'll just bring my recording supplies with me."

Marisol knew that by old PC, her roommate meant a computer that was still top notch by many standards. "Sometimes I forget that you're rich."

Nevada laughed. "This is crazy, isn't it?"

Marisol cracked a smile. "Yes, it is. I'm running from the law."

"I always thought it would be me," they said.

"Me too."

Silence lapsed between them as Marisol placed her camera bag on top of her suitcase.

"So, you and Colette?"

Marisol whipped her head up to see Nevada with an impish grin on their face.

"Oh my god, shut up. This is not the time."

Nevada wiggled their eyebrows. "So there is a time?"

"No! I've known her for less than two weeks."

"You fought a police officer for her!"

"That was a justice thing! It wasn't romantic. I was being a decent person!"

Nevada just laughed. Marisol crossed her arms, trying to seem mad, only to have a smile take over her face anyway.

"You're the most annoying person ever, you know that?"

Nevada continued laughing. "I know."