xxix. they could move mountains.

For the rest of the day, any spare time Colette got was spent reading "Vicky the Witch's Spellbook." The book was a fascinating hodge-podge of knowledge, combining personal experience with witch history, as well as practical spells. Colette had always assumed that magic was shaping energy to her will, and while it was mostly that, there were some more complicated techniques that required more preparation. She couldn't wait to try them herself.

Mrs. Falberry, after seeing her read all the time, had stopped being so mean. Instead, she seemed satisfied with Colette's actions, though she had no idea that the book wasn't about U.S. History at all. Time had flown since Cesar slipped her the book. Colette had hardly noticed that it was time for bed until Mrs. Falberry directed her back to her bedroom.

When she showered and changed, she crawled into bed and took out the book again. A large part of the book was a section that the author, Vicky, had titled "Love and Magic." Colette wasn't going to be able to finish it before she went to bed, but she at least wanted to start.

I met Lux when I was 40, living in a small town in New Mexico. I had never had many romantic endeavors until I met them. It was too difficult to date seriously as a witch. Keeping myself safe had always been the number one priority, meaning that anything past flings were uncharted territory. I had slept with them without knowing much, and I assumed that was it, but when I woke up the next morning, I saw Lux sitting in the bed, the familiar glow of magic pouring out of their hands.

They didn't know anything about me, but they didn't seem scared when they were caught in the act of using magic. Instead, they looked at me, a smile on their face, and asked: "Can you do this too?"

From then, I never left their side. I had never met someone like Lux before, a witch so unapologetic about their powers. I had also never met someone who flowed the way they did. I once asked them about their gender, and they told me they were female. The next day, they were male, and the day after that, they weren't either. That was fine with me. I had never given much thought to sexuality, but Lux had my heart regardless.

Whenever we separated, it was never for long. We traveled around the country, side by side. We'd settle in small cities only to start moving when people got suspicious. Despite the constant changing of environment, I always felt like I was home around Lux. It didn't matter where we were.

Lux was the most powerful magic user I had ever met. I didn't have too much experience with witchcraft, but the way Lux used their powers was incredible. If I didn't know any better, I would have said they were made of magic, and that every single sparkle flowing from their hands was a part of them. I swear, that if they really wanted to, they could move mountains.

Colette's phone rang next to her, pulling her out of the book. She looked at the phone, only to see Marisol's contact picture illuminating the screen for a Facetime call. Colette smiled, gently placing the book aside and answering the call. Marisol's face bloomed on the other side of the screen.

"Is this a bad time?" Marisol asked.

"No," Colette smiled, "Not at all." She sat up straighter in bed.

Marisol smiled back. "How has your day been? You look tired."

Colette shrugged. "It wasn't a bad day, but I was certainly put to work. The president's secretary is hardcore, I can hardly get even a look of approval from her."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Marisol said, scrunching her nose.

Colette thought the expression was unbelievably cute. "What about you? How have you been?"

"It's barely been a day and I miss you," she said, "And I don't know how I handled Nevada alone before I met you, they talk too much."

"Hey!" Nevada yelled from the background of the call. "I can hear you!"

Colette laughed. "By tomorrow, I'll be on my way back to New York, and you'll be able to go back as well."

"I can't wait," Marisol responded, "Though I can't imagine the chewing out I'll get from my job... well, if I'm not fired by then."

"You could always just travel around with me. I have enough money for the both of us. Wouldn't you like to go to France?"

"I would, though I still don't want to lose my job."

Before Colette could respond, the bedroom door opened. She looked forward, expecting to see Mrs. Falberry angry at her for staying up too late, but instead, it was Cesar.

"Oh, Cesar," she said, "I've been meaning to ask you about the book you lent me, it's super interesting, but I was never able to get away from Mrs. Falberry."

Cesar smiled softly, before his face dropped into a frown. "We can talk about that later, Colette, but for now, I'm sorry."

A wave of tense energy hit Colette, a weight settling on her brain. Colette's vision flicked in an out, darkness creeping through the corner of her eyes. She fought it, flaring her magic to try to make herself more awake, but the force kept pushing. It wasn't long before the dark energy flooded her brain like a broken dam, forcing her into unconsciousness.

Colette's face tensed up on the screen as she looked over at a person that Marisol could not see. The witch's eyes seemed to flutter closed, only for them to shoot back open in a wide, panicked expression. This continued for a few seconds until Colette seemed to slump over, the phone dropping, leaving Marisol staring at the ceiling.

"Colette?" Marisol said, looking at the screen, "Are you okay?"

There was no response. All she heard was some rustling on the other side of the screen. The phone didn't capture much until a man stepped into view and she was left looking up at him. Despite the weird angle, she could see Colette slung over his shoulder, body limp. Marisol gasped, and in a quick moment of thinking, took a screenshot.

This was enough for the man to hear the phone and he looked down, scowling. The face was familiar, but Marisol couldn't quite place it. In an instant, the man stomped on the phone, causing Marisol's screen to go completely dark. A few seconds after that, the call hung up. Marisol could hardly move, her hands shaking. She could only drop her phone before standing and running up the stairs towards the master bedroom.

Nevada's footsteps were loud and heavy behind her, following while asking "what's wrong?" over and over.

Marisol threw the master bedroom door open. It slammed against the wall. At the sudden noise, Mrs. and Mr. Schultz stirred from their slumber, slowly sitting up and blinking at the hallway light.

"What's going on?" Mrs. Schultz asked, looking at them groggily.

Marisol dropped to the ground, tears welling in her vision. Her voice cracked as she spoke, sobs bubbling in her throat. "Something happened to Colette. I think she's been kidnapped."