xxxvii. je t'aime.

It was no longer storming. The endless sea of clouds were now peaceful, white, and fluffy. The sky was a crystal clear blue. The Cosmos were a little hot, but compared to an endless rainstorm, it was perfect. Colette's sundress was back to being whole, no longer tattered and ripped around her. It shifted around her knees, billowing in some unknown wind. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, and when she opened them she was met by familiar brown eyes.

Marisol smiled at Colette, relief painting her face. Her eyes had bags under them, but the stress that had dominated her face had disappeared. Colette pulled Marisol forward into a tight embrace.

Marisol hugged her back, clutching Colette's sundress in tight fists. They stood like that for a long moment, holding on tight and basking in the feeling of safety as clouds swirled at their feet.

When they pulled apart, tears glistened in Marisol's eyes. "You're safe!" she exclaimed. She moved her hands up and down Colette's shoulders, as if making sure Colette was real.

Colette didn't know what happened after she passed out, but she trusted Marisol. She was no longer being held captive by Cesar. She was going to go back to New York and see Marisol again.

Marisol's eyes drifted down from Colette's face and she frowned. She brought her hand up to Colette's neck and brushed a thumb over the center of it. "Are you alright?" she asked.

The spot was where Cesar had put his frigid hand when he was holding her hostage. It ached slightly under Marisol's touch. "It hurts a little," she admitted, "but nothing a little time won't heal."

Marisol nodded and withdrew her hand. Then she leaned forward, pressing a feather-light kiss to the same spot. Adoration sprung in Colette's soul, heat rushing to her cheeks.

"I'll help you feel better when we're both back in New York," said Marisol.

"I'll be on my way as soon as I wake up."

Marisol shook her head. "You still haven't legalized magic."

Colette wrinkled her nose. "Where am I now?"

"Last I heard, you were being flown back to the Capital by helicopter."

"So I'm super high in the air right now?"

Marisol grinned. "Don't look down."

Colette giggled, "I probably won't be able to wake up anyway. I was exhausted."

"Thalia said that you might be out for a couple days. Apparently you burned yourself out."

Quite literally, Colette thought, remembering how her skin felt like it was on fire.

Marisol frowned, grasping Colette's hands. "I was so worried," she said, "I thought I would never see you again."

Colette frowned.

"When I saw Cesar taking you away on my phone screen, I could only think of your safety... and how I'd never want to live my life without you in it."

Colette couldn't find the words to respond.

"I know this is a lot to say, given that we haven't even known each other for a month and we've only been dating for a week, but I love you. I've never been one to fall in love fast, but you feel so right. It's like you're my..." Marisol trailed off, looking at Colette with wide eyes, as if she just spilled some terrible secret.

Colette smiled at Marisol's dumbfounded face, nodding, pushing her to continue.

"It's like you're my soulmate," Marisol said, "I don't even know your birthday or your favorite color, but I know I love you, and I want to spend all of my time from now on learning more about you."

There were those words again, lighting Colette's heart up like a sparkler. Tears fell down her cheeks before she realized they had even formed. "I love you too," she said, "Je t'aime," she repeated. "Je t'aime, je t'aime, je t'aime."

Marisol began crying again and the two of them laughed, relief pouring over their faces. They leaned in, kissing, between breathy giggles and sobs. They remained like that, kissing, crying, and laughing among an endless sea of warm clouds, the Cosmos protecting them.