iii. punk roommate and secrets.

Colette was worried. She had never had a moment where she couldn't keep her eyes off of someone. She thought it would happen when she finally fell in love. Instead, her vision was permanently glued to a small, feisty photography assistant. She had been too reckless, forgetting to lock the door while she used magic. She slipped up, and now one more person knew a secret that could ruin her life. Colette was focusing so hard on following Marisol that she didn't know where they were when they stopped.

Colette followed her new companion up several flights of stairs before they stopped. Marisol stuck a key in the lock and turned it, a click sounding from inside of the wooden door. She rested her hand on the knob and turned to face Colette.

"Just so you know, you followed me here," she said, "So I don't want to hear any complaints about my apartment."

Colette nodded. "Yes ma'am."

Marisol narrowed her eyes before turning and opening the door. She stepped to the side to allow Colette to walk in before closing and locking the door behind the two of them. She propped her skateboard against the wall near the door.

Colette looked around the apartment. It was rather simple. There was manufactured furniture, a TV, and a kitchen. It was nothing special. The thing that caught her eye the most was a three-monitor computer setup sitting in the corner of the living area. Colette didn't know much about computers, but she knew that the desktop wasn't something a regular magazine worker would have. When she looked closer, she could see that a game was paused on the screen.

Marisol called out into the empty apartment. "I'm home!"

A door swung open across the apartment and a person stepped out. Their eyes immediately settled on Colette.

"Marisol, you finally brought a girl home!" they said, "I knew it would happen eventually-"

Marisol cut them off. "She's a work acquaintance."

"You got someone from work? Scandalous."

Marisol was not amused. She gestured towards the person. "This is Nevada, my roommate."

Nevada bounded up to Colette. "They/them pronouns, please."

Nevada was tall, though not as tall as Colette. They had short, buzzed hair, dyed a dark purple. They were wearing a t-shirt and basketball shorts. Their attitude and goofy smile contrasted greatly with Marisol, and it made Colette wonder what it was like for them to live together.

"I'm Colette," she responded, sticking out her hand, "She/her pronouns for me."

"Ooo, are you French?" Nevada said, "I never knew that Marisol had a thing for foreign girls."

"Again, just a work acquaintance. We're going to be discussing some things." Marisol said.

Nevada wasn't satisfied with that answer. Without any warning, they reached up and snatched the sunglasses off Colette's face.

"Aha!" They put their hands on their hips. "I knew it, you're the actress from Zodiac Class. I know a celebrity when I see one. They ooze a certain aura."

Colette looked over at Marisol, her eyes wide and frantic. "Uhh, Marisol..." she said, "Isn't this an invasion of privacy?"

Marisol shrugged, "A little bit, but Nevada will keep your visit a secret. They'd be exposing themself too."

Nevada nodded. "Between being a popular streamer and the child of a famous punk band singer, I'd rather not have the press on me."

Colette raised an eyebrow. "Streamer?"