vii. obligatory coffee date.

Colette, 5:31 PM: You just got off of work, right? Want to go get some coffee?

Marisol, 5:32 PM: Are you stalking me?

Colette, 5:32 PM: I may or may not be in the coffee shop across the street.

Marisol, 5:32 PM: You're hijacking my Friday afternoon?

Colette, 5:33 PM: I'll pay.

Marisol, 5:33 PM: I'm coming.

Marisol looked up from her phone and narrowed her eyes at the coffee shop across the street. Sure enough, she could faintly make out a figure waving at her through the windows. Marisol sighed, secured a hand around the strap of her bag, and crossed the street. When she pushed open the door, a chorus of 3 tired, underpaid workers called out towards her.

"Welcome to Jingle Java!"

Marisol simply waved back to the baristas and scanned the room. At a small table by the window was Colette, her hair braided down her back and huge sunglasses on. Marisol still couldn't believe that disguise would work. Colette waved at her from the entrance and Marisol walked over. She set her bag down and sat down in the chair. Colette beamed at her.

"Thanks for agreeing to coffee." Colette gestured to the menu, which was written on a huge chalkboard above where the cash register was. "Pick whatever, and I'll go order."

"Not worried about someone noticing you?"

Colette shook her head. "Oddly enough, people recognize me more with an American accent since I act in so many American productions. They usually just think I'm a tourist if I speak normally."

"Alright." Marisol turned to look at the chalkboard. She read it over. "I'm probably going to get a sandwich too, since I haven't eaten dinner. You don't have to pay."

"No, I insist. I feel like I owe it to you."

Marisol was no gold digger, but she'd never turn down a free meal. Besides, Colette likely had enough money to buy the entire coffee shop. "Then I'll have a pumpkin spice latte and a croissant sandwich."

Colette laughed.

Marisol turned towards the celebrity. "Making fun of my choices, french lady?"

"No," Colette responded, "I just didn't expect you to be a pumpkin spice latte kind of girl."

"I don't really like bitter things."

Colette shrugged. "I guess that surprised me."

"Are you calling me bitter?"

"No," Colette said, "I'd say you're no-nonsense."

"I can be no-nonsense and like my sweet drinks."

Colette stood from her chair. "I'll go order your no-nonsense PSL."

"Thank you," said Marisol.

"No problem." Colette walked towards the register.

It wasn't long until Colette got back. The coffee shop wasn't as busy in the afternoons and the staff worked efficiently in preparing food and drinks. It had been less than 2 minutes when Marisol's tablemate returned with a tray. Colette set down a drink and a paper-wrapped sandwich in front of her, and then sat down with her own cup.

"You didn't get anything to eat?" Marisol asked, opening her sandwich.

Colette took a careful sip of her hot drink before responding. "No, I ate earlier with my castmates."