Chapter 6

I must've been dead asleep last night because I had four missed phone calls and eleven text messages that I didn't hear. I went to the bathroom before checking them all. The four calls were from my mom. She left voicemails for all of them and they pretty much said thanks for coming to dinner, but I liked Brooke better than you last night. Way to not answer your phone.

They didn't actually say that, but that's how I took them. The text messages were all the same. From my mom, talking about last night. Nothing different there.

I walked down the stairs and walked into the kitchen. I poured cereal and milk into a bowl and sat at the table. I usually don't eat anything, but today I was feeling hungry. My dad was still asleep when I walked back upstairs. I showered and threw on some shorts, sweatpants over the shorts, and a regular T-shirt. Today didn't seem to be filled with anything eventful so it was definitely a movie day. I grabbed my phone and headed downstairs to find myself a spot on the couch. I wonder what Brooke was doing today. I dialed her number.

"What's up?" She asked when she picked up.

"What are you doing today?" I asked back.

"Nothing, why? Don't tell me you have lunch with your mom and you don't want to go alone." I laughed.

"No, not this time." I told her.

"Okay, good. That was kind of awkward last night."

"Tell me about it."

"So what did you have in mind?" I heard her rustle some papers in the background.

"How would you like to watch movies with me all day?"

"That sounds like fun! But I still have homework. Do you think I could do it at your house?"

"Yeah totally. I need help anyways." I gave her my address because I didn't know if she remembered or not. We were only here briefly after we left the party Saturday morning.

Twenty minutes later Brooke knocked on the front door. I jumped up and swung it open.

"Why hello there." I said and she laughed.

"Hi. Could I come in? These books are kind of heavy."

"Oh yeah. Sorry." I gestured for her to come in and she set her stuff on the coffee table in the living room. I ran up to my room and got my stuff to bring down.

"I'm thinking we should do our homework first just to make sure that's all done. Then we can watch movies." She sat at the low table in front of the couch crossing her legs. I joined her.

"Great idea." We opened our books and got out pencils ready.

"So what did you need help with?" Brooke looked at my calculus book sitting open and reached for hers.

"This class isn't my strong suit. I've always had trouble with it."

"That's okay. I'll help you." She looked up and smiled a warm smile at me and I returned one with the same emotions filling it.

*****

"I love that movie! Oh my gosh we have to watch it!" Brooke exclaimed when I pulled out some sappy heart-filled love story with Ryan Gosling in it.

"This one?" I gave her a funny look. "Really?"

"Yes!" She yelled.

"Okay." I laughed and shook my head, but put the movie in anyways. She squealed and got herself set on the couch. I went to pop some popcorn while it went through the previews. I've never seen this movie before. I didn't even know we owned it. That just shows how observant I am.