Chapter 3

I woke up the next morning to my alarm clock at 6:30, and I dreaded it already. I dreaded the fact that I had to go to school and see people I don't really want to see, even if it was only the first day. I had one person in mind I wanted to see, and one in mind I didn't. So I got ready with the one I wanted to see stuck in my head.

I showered, dressed, ate, got my things together, and said bye to my just awakening father before I jumped in my car and drove off to school.

It was only like a five minute drive, so I got there quick and parked close to the building. I spotted Adam and my other buddy Kyle off to one side of the sidewalk. I got out and walked over to them.

"Dude, what's with the backpack? Who do we look like? Kindergardeners?" Kyle asked me when I approached them.

"I'm actually going to try these last two years so I can pass and get into a good college. I don't want to be stuck here all my life." I told them and looked around for Brooke. Maybe she isn't here yet.

"You'll still probably pass because none of these teachers want us here anymore. They can't wait until we're all gone!" Adam yelled and started dancing, which turned a few heads. Kyle and I laughed at him as he ran up to some of the girls in our grade and danced up against them. A few danced back, but most just slapped him and walked the other way. Sometimes he can be crazy.

More and more cars were pulling into the parking lot for the school, and couldn't see if one of them was Brooke. I don't know if she got her car today, or yesterday, or maybe even later in the week. I wouldn't know because I didn't have her phone number to ask her. I gave her my phone number, so how come she hasn't called me? She was probably busy yesterday. I looked at everyone getting out of their cars and only recognized people I've gone to school with. I looked a little farther down the lot and noticed a car kind of away from everyone else. A girl stepped out with her backpack on her shoulder and I noticed the long brown hair right away.

"Hey I'll be right back." I said to Kyle, who was still laughing at Adam, before I walked towards Brooke. I think she noticed me before I even got to her, which was a good thing so she didn't think I was some creepy, 17 year old teenager. I smiled when I reacher her.

"Hey." I said.

"Hi." She said back.

"Are you excited for this?"

"For what?" We started walking to the front doors of the school.

"Going to a new school, meeting new people. Are you excited for it?" I ask again.

"Sure, I guess."

"You guess?" I looked at her.

"Yeah. I hate going to new schools."

"Have you gone to a lot of new schools?"

"Not a lot, but I've had my fair share. I'm tired of making new friends and leaving old ones behind."

"Well how come you always have to move?" We got to the front of the school and stopped right before the doors since the bell hasn't rung yet.

"My moms job always has her moving to new towns, but luckily the job supports her, so she never has to pay too much for each house."

"Is it a good job?"

"Um, yeah I guess you could say it's good. She gets paid plenty of money, but the job itself isn't the best."

"What does she do?" I leaned up against the wall and she stood right in front of me, maybe two feet away.

"This might sound bad, but I don't know. She's told me a lot of times, but I can never remember what exactly she told me. Something about her being a manager of a very popular some kind of place. I have no idea."