Chapter 10

The rest of the week passed by like a breeze. I was still with my mom and hadn't seen my dad since the night I left. I drove past the house sometimes, but never stopped. His car was usually there, and occasionally another car beside his. I spent less time with Brooke since I told her I was leaving. She always had an excuse whenever I asked her to hang out or something and I don't know why. I kept playing that moment in the hallway after she ran out of the lunch room and it seemed like she wanted to spend time with me. Like she really liked me and didn't want me to leave. So now I'm just confused.

It was Friday and the last bell after school rang. I gathered my things and met Brooke just as she walked out the front doors.

"Hey." I said and she turned to me.

"Hi." She said back and kept walking.

"What's up?"

"Going home."

"Oh." We walked to her car and she opened the door. I had stopped giving her rides after Monday and she would take her own car. I stopped her from closing the door after she got in. "So do you want to hang out or something tonight?"

"I have plans."

"What's that?" She looked at me after I asked that and gave me a funny look.

"Why does it matter?"

"Because I want to know why we can't hang out." I leaned against the car.

"If you must know, I'm going to a sleepover tonight." She said. That's right. I forgot about that.

"Well what about before you go?"

She sighed. "I'm not really in the mood right now, Luke." She tried to close the door, but I stopped it again.

"Please?" I asked her.

"No. Not today."

"What about tomorrow then? Do you have anything going on tomorrow?" I gave her a hopeful look and I'm pretty sure she noticed because she sighed and looked down.

"No, I don't have anything going on tomorrow."

"Then can we go so somewhere and talk?"

She thought about it and I continued. "Please? We haven't hung out in a while and all I want to do is talk. It's not that hard."

"Fine. Where would we go?"

"How about the park around noon?" I suggested.

"Sure. Now I have to go. Bye." And she slammed the door. I backed away and watched her pull out of the lot and speed away before getting into my own car.

When I pulled into the lot to the apartment building, I parked and ran upstairs. I texted Brooke and told her to bring her guitar tomorrow. She didn't say anything, but I knew she got the message. I wonder why she was in such a bad mood today. All week, for that matter. I'm determined to find out why she's mad at me. Is it because I'm going to California? Because if that's why, then I don't know what to say. I'm leaving here, I'm going somewhere better, and I'm not coming back.

When my mom got home that night, I told her about tomorrow and she said that was fine that I go to the park.

"How was school?" She asked at dinner.

"Fine." I replied.

"And what does fine mean?"

"Same ol' same ol'."

"What did you do?"

"Listen to teachers lecture us about stuff that won't be necessary in life."