Chapter 17 Training

Two years later...

The three children said their heartfelt goodbyes to the elder Kandines when the hover craft that would take them too the Trainee Camp arrived.

"We're going to miss you three so much!" Mrs. Kandine exclaimed and held them all tightly.

"We'll miss you too mom. Don't worry, but we have to go now." Niko assured her.

His mother let go of them reluctantly and they boarded the hover craft.

"Be safe!" Niko's father shouted when the hover craft lifted itself off the ground.

The three kids waved to the Kandines before someone behind them ordered them to find a seat.

There were seven other people in the craft, not including the pilots.

Six of them were guys but there was one girl who sat next to a free seat. She had dark hair and skin that clashed with her startling blue eyes. She wore a grey shirt with matching short and a dark black leather jacket. She was staring out the window intently.

Katina walked up to her. "Hi. Do you mind if I sit?"

The girl turned to look at her then shrugged dismissively. Katina took that as a 'no I don't mind ' and sat down beside her.

As the hover craft sped through the airspace of City Newn the boys chatted away. The girl never spoke a word.

Katina twiddled her thumbs before trying to start a conversation. "Um, my name is Katina Martins. What's yours?"

The girl didn't even turn to look at her.

"What city are you from? I have a feeling that you're not from City Newn." Katina continued.

The girl didn't respond.

Katina sighed. "Well, I'm from City Won. My brother and I are living in City Newn because well..."

Now the girl turned to Katina. Looking at her with her bright blue eyes. She seemed to be thinking for another few moments before finally speaking.

"My name is Sarah Monét. I'm from City Kauna." She spoke.

Katina smiled. "City Kauna? Really?"

Sarah nodded.

"I hear that City Kauna is where the wealthy live." Katina continued.

Sarah shrugged again. "Well, I guess you could say that. The wealthy live in Kauna while the privileged live in Magnolia."

"What's the difference?" Katina wondered.

"Noble families and such. The highest of the high ranking government officials live in City Magnolia. And they're far richer than anyone in City Kauna. That's what I hear anyways." Sarah explained.

Katina nodded.

"So...you're from City Won." Sarah spoke.

Katina nodded again.

"All the cities heard what happened two years ago. Are you okay?" She continued.

Katina sighed. "My brother and I are doing fine."

"What about your parents? Are they okay?" Sarah asked.

Katina looked down.

"Oh. I see...I don't like talking to people all that much y'know, but...I'm sorry." Sarah told Katina.

Katina looked at Sarah, then smiled. "Don't like talking huh? Coulda fooled me."

Sarah gave Katina a small smile.

-----------

The Trainee Camp was a miniature domed area several kilometres away from City Newn.

The hover craft entered when the dome opened a small hatch in its roof and it landed on a landing pad upon entry.

The hover craft opened up its door and the pilot ordered the new trainees to file out.

They all did so. The landing pad held many other hover crafts and hundreds of new trainees.

"That's a lot of other people." Niko commented.

Katina and Ham nodded in agreement. Sarah didn't respond.

The trainees were mingling with each other until a tall man in a Cybernetics Program uniform.

"Attention!" He shouted. "Welcome new trainees, to the official Cybernetics Program Training Grounds! And the worst four years of your lives!"