Chapter 8 Flames of Death

It all happened so fast, Katina wasn't entirely sure that it actually did happen.
Katina was screaming. The witch was running towards them. Ham noticed a steel pipe lying in the rubble of a nearby house. He somehow managed to grab the pipe, then ran in front of Katina. Then as the witch was about half a meter away from him, he swung the pipe like a bat with almost inhuman strength, and sent the witch flying to the right. The witch crashed into an already crumbling house.

Then Katina stopped screaming. She looked at her older brother. The look on his face was scary, he was breathing heavily, his arms hanging limply at his sides, the pipe still in his hand, stained with black witch blood. She hadn't seen Ham do anything like that since...

"We gotta go Katina." He said, dropping the pipe, and grabbing Katina's arm.
Katina looked at her brother, then nodded. "Yeah, let's go." Then the two resumed their running.

They could see thick, black smoke up ahead, right around where their house should have been. Then they turned the corner, and they saw exactly where the fire ball from earlier had landed.

The area around their house was all on fire. There were practically no houses left standing. Not even theirs. Their house was all rubble, and burning wood.
"Mom!" Katina yelled as she ran over to what was left of their house. Ham followed.

They covered their mouths as they passed by the fire, but were still coughing. When they made it to their house, they couldn't see anything that would indicate that someone was still there, but they had to make sure, and immediately began to clear the rubble away.

"Mom!" "Mom!" The two Martins siblings kept calling. They continued this for about five more minutes before they heard a weak, "Kids."

They walked over to the small voice they heard, and quickly cleared away the rubble. It wasn't long before they saw their mother, bruised and bloody, but alive, buried underneath the rubble. They removed some more of the wood and rubble, until their mother's body was totally visible, and it was just her bottom half that was buried.

Unfortunately, it was buried beneath a large steel pillar.

"Ham, c'mon, let's get mom outta here." Katina said as she placed her hands underneath the pillar, and tried to lift it. Ham joined her immediately, and they were both trying to lift the pillar off of their mother.

"What...the heck are you two doing here? You should be making your way out of the city! Something happened. The city isn't safe!" Their mother exclaimed.

"We know mom." Ham said.

"Yeah, we saw it. The dome broke, and a lot of witches and dragons made it into the city. C'mon Ham! We gotta get this thing off of mom!" Katina explained.
Anne Martins stared at her children for a few moments. "The witches, and dragons...are in the city?" She asked.

"Yeah, that's why we gotta get you outta here ASAP. Ham seriously, let's go! Use your super strength or something!" Katina exclaimed. Ham didn't reply.

"No! That's why you two have to get out of here! Go! Now!" Their mother yelled.

"Not a chance mom! We're getting you out of this, and gonna head for the t-station together!" Katina yelled. Both her and Ham's hands were beginning to get red, and cut from trying to lift the pillar, but they were determined to lift the pillar.

"Katina! Listen to me! No, look at me! Even if you were able to get this thing off of me, my legs are crushed Katina! I can't go with you!" Their mother shouted, tears in her eyes.

Looking at her mother, Katina began to tear up as well.

"Whatever! I'll just have to carry you then! We'll carry you! Right Ham? Ham! Hamay!" Katina exclaimed. Ham looked at her sadly, tears in his eyes as well.

"Katina! Hamay!" Someone yelled in the distance. Katina turned around, and saw her father running towards them.

"Dad!" Katina and Ham shouted in unison.

When David Martins made it over to them, he asked "What are you two doing?"

"Getting mom!" Katina yelled. "Help us dad!"

"No David! Get the kids out of here! Please!" Anne pleaded. David didn't answer, he was staring at something up ahead.

When Katina and Ham turned and looked, all they could do was stare too.

Several blocks away, it was standing at 15 feet tall. It was a pale bluish green, covered with scales, and had yellow eyes. It was sporting claws, fangs, and wings. It was a witch-dragon hybrid, and it was headed right for the Martins.

"No...we gotta move!" David Martins yelled as he put his hands on his children.

"What? No way! We can't leave mom!" Katina shouted. Then something, or rather someone, zoomed past the Martins. Katina looked up, and saw a Cyber-Guard flying straight towards the Hybrid. The Cyber-Guard fired at the monster, stunning it. He watched as the Hybrid stumbled around, then flew over to the Martins.

"We need to get you all outta here!" He told them immediately.

"Get our children away from here!" Anne yelled.

"Mom, no! Please, help get our mom out of this!" Katina shouted. The Cyber-Guard looked at Katina, then back at the Hybrid.

He then lifted his sleeve, revealing his biotech gauntlet. He pressed a few buttons, then put his sleeve back in place. The sound of gears turning and wires connecting and disconnecting could be heard. Then the Cyber-Guard put his hands under the pillar, and with the two Martins siblings help, managed to lift the pillar. David moved quickly and pulled her out.

By this time, the Hybrid was moving towards them again, albeit a little faster.

"Let's go, now!" The Cyber-Guard ordered as he turned and began running. The Martins followed quickly, with Anne Martins being carried by David.

The Cyber-Guard looked back at the Hybrid, it had stopped. Then it looked as though the beast was taking in a huge breath. He saw the throat and part of the Hybrid's chest light up orange.

"We gotta move faster!" He yelled as he picked up the two Martins siblings, and ran ahead of their parents.

Then the Hybrid blew it's fire. The long column of fire barely missed the elder Martins, but the force of the blast knocked David Martins off his feet, and both he and his wife fell.

"No! Mom! Dad!" Katina yelled. "We gotta help them!"

The Cyber-Guard didn't say anything, he didn't even look back, he was headed for a stone arc up ahead, and they were almost there. Then Katina began to struggle against his hold, and managed to get free. When she began to run towards them, Ham came out of nowhere and grabbed her, holding her back.

The Hybrid looked like it was about to breathe fire again.

"No! No!" Katina shouted, as Ham pulled her past the walls of the arch.

Then the Hybrid blew it's fire once again. David and Anne Martins held out their arms at their children.

Katina heard her father shout a brief "Survive! And live!" Before the massive flames consumed David and Anne Martins.

"NO!" Katina screamed.