1. Rich Rags

**Just read and see what you think.  This isn't my first shindig.**

1

It’s a secret.  It always has been.  Ever since I was ten and found out my best friend Taylor was only friends with me because she got presents and got to pretend she was a princess in my big house.  She never actually wanted to play with me.  When I overheard her talking to her mom about it and say, “Playing with Abril is so boring though!” I felt my heart break. 

Her mom’s response just made me feel worse.  “It’s okay sweetie, only a little longer, just try and see if you can grab one of her little rings this time.  I’m sure if you ask she’ll give it to you.”

I ran away crying and after that I never saw her again.  She called on me that day, but I told them to just tell her to go home.  I didn’t want to see her. 

After that day I realized that having all this money is just a burden.  I talked it over with my parents and they understood.  Both of them are rather unorthodox in their own way.  They are loud and voice their opinion a lot, but they’re kind and love me very much.

We decided that it might be better if I just try having a normal life.  They sent me to a regular school and everything was going great, until one day my new little friends asked to come over to my house.  For a long time I made up excuses, but I knew I couldn’t do that forever.

When I was twelve I talked this over with my parents and then one night my mom woke up yelling at me that she had a great idea.

I groggily sat up with my red rats nest hair.  “What?”

“What if we bought a small house in town and you could invite your friends over there?!” She said excitedly.

I woke up more after that, “Mom, that’s not a bad idea.” I said thinking about it.  We could decorate it and make it look livable and it’d be more believable if I just said my parents are out of town a lot.  “It’s brilliant actually!” I replied, getting more excited.

“I just thought about it while I was about to fall asleep!”

“Gosh I love your random ideas sometimes.” I said chuckling. 

“Well, goodnight sweetie. Sweet dreams.” She said kissing my head and walking out.

I went to sleep smiling. 

Over the next few weeks we went house shopping and found one not far from the school that was cute and stylish.  It was two stories with three bedrooms and a nice kitchen and living room.

We had professional decorators come in and spice the place up and three weeks later I had some friends over and simply said my parents were out.  It went perfect and thus began everything.

Over the years I became more of a tomboy.  I grew out of the cute little dresses my mom got me.  Only when it was a fancy dinner for my father’s company did I ever wear a dress.  At school though I always played with the boys.  I played basketball, football, soccer, and tag with them all the time.  One thing I never did though was cut my hair.  It grew and grew.  Over the years it went from orangeish red to a dark almost mahogany.  It was very curly and I basically always had it up in a bun or pony tail.