17. Rich Rags

17

I wasn’t sure how long it had been when I began waking up again.  My head hurt really bad and now my arms weren’t tied, but there was a cuff around my wrist attached to a bar on the wall, and I was still on the floor.

I again opened my eyes just a little and took in my surroundings.

There was a guy sitting in a chair still on the computer, but he was alone.  All the others were gone.  I looked over at the TV and could see the news on. There was just a report on some child who got unlawfully suspended from school for something he did or wore.  I couldn’t quite hear it. 

I couldn’t figure out how long I had been out, but my stomach suddenly growled violently and my throat was painfully dry.  I was starving and probably getting somewhat dehydrated.

I sat up and the chain of the cuff jingled. 

The man’s head snapped over to my direction and I just glared at his masked face.

“Awake huh? I’ll go tell her.”

He got up and left and I stretched out my aching back.  I just felt so sore all over.

Quickly people entered back into the room.

I looked over at the woman, but to my surprise she was different from the first woman I saw.  At least I thought so.  She was a little shorter, and thicker than the one from before.  Also something about her seemed older and more mature.

The second woman was definitely different from the first. 

“Well good afternoon Abril.” Her voice sang happily.  Unlike the other woman, I couldn’t recognize her voice at all. 

“How long have I been here?” I asked hoarsely.

“Well over twenty four hours!”

My eyes widened.  I had been asleep for that long…my family…my friends…they had to be worried sick. 

“Why am I here?”

“Really now Abril, I would think you would be wiser than that.” She scoffed. “Everyone here knows your true identity miss Hanson.”

I could see a smirk playing on her lips through the mask.

My heart picked up as the full danger of the situation came down on me.

“You…you’re ransoming me?”

“Correct.  Sounds so western and old timey, but you can never go wrong with the classics.” She laughed.

“You know my family is going to find you and take you down.”