Chapter 2: A Beautiful Sight

(Y/N)'s POV

Tenzin and his family left in the morning, Asami understood my decision to learn more about the spirits, for some reason whenever I study them I feel warm, like I'm at home. Maybe my father or mother studied them, maybe it's a way to feel close to them. Anyway I promised Asami I would get back to the city as soon as I learned some basics from Unalaq, Mako and Bolin decided to stay too although I'm not particularly happy about Mako and Korra continuing to remind me of how single I am I rather bury myself in my work to distract me. Me and Korra were soon informed on going to the South Pole to connect directly with the spirits and I couldn't be more excited.

I finished packing and drove with Bolin to see Tonraq and Unalaq about to have a standoff. I don't know the extent of their sibling rivalry but it's clear that it's serious and can hurt people surrounding them. Bolin explained to Mako we got the rides from Varrick. Eska and Desna pack into Bolin's ride while I hop on top of Naga with Korra. The journey began and by nightfall Korra was too excited and started asking questions. Unalaq tells her she'll be opening an ancient spirit portal in the South Pole while I'll be focusing on my meditating. I've tried meditating before but he said with enough skill I could have the power to enter the spirit world through it, maybe my father's spirit is there. Naga starts growling and my senses peak towards the direction Naga is facing, I look closer and see three dark spirits and I tighten the grip on my sword. They disappear and Tonraq urges us to find a place to set up camp. Soon we set up and gather around the fire to eat. Korra asks more questions and I just stay silent. I didn't really have a lot to say. Unalaq continued to blame Tonraq for the dark spirits appearance but that couldn't be true could it, but he revealed the truth and told us he was banished from the Northern Water Tribe.

Korra's POV

My father was banished from the Northern water tribe. Before I could ask my father explained it all, he was a general and told us the entire story from the barbarians attacking to the ancient forest being destroyed and that lead to his banishment. After he finished the story Bolin kept saying a bunch of obvious things about my father and uncle's hatred towards each other. Both Mako and (Y/N) hit him on the side. "What? Isn't that what happened?" He exclaimed. "Bolin, shut it!!" (Y/N) said with her jaw clenched. I got up and argued with my father in front of everyone about how he hides things from me and claims it for my own protection. I'm the Avatar. I can handle the tough subjects and intense situations, why can't they trust me to make my own choices. I walked away from everyone and I heard someone else get up but I didn't know who.

"You know I trust you right?" I hear (Y/N)'s smooth voice say. I turn to look at her and I can see the concern in her eyes. "I know, I just wish people would stop hiding things, and think I need protection." She steps closer to me and starts speaking again. "They all care about you Korra, I care about you. How do you feel if I told you that I willingly put myself in danger?" She asked and I sighed. "I wouldn't want you to." I say, avoiding eye contact. Before I knew it she lifted her hand to turn my head so I'd face her again. "Korra they trust you, I trust, We don't like the thought of you getting hurt. But with you being the Avatar the risk is very high, they just have to get used to that possibility." She says looking me in the eyes. The blood was rushing to my cheeks and the urge to kiss her was growing more and more but I couldn't, Mako and I are together and it wouldn't be fair to him. She must have sensed my overthinking nature and stepped away but she was still close enough for me to hear her next whispered words. "I still love you Korra and I will never stop, but waiting until you come to your senses is becoming harder and I've only been back for two days. I know why you picked him." She said and my heart was beating out of my chest at this point. "You do?" I ask and she nods. "He's the safe choice, it's unlikely that you'll hurt him and you're scared to hurt me, Korra, why can't you understand that..." She stops mid-sentence. "That what?" I ask. "It doesn't matter, I'm being selfish, I'm just gonna go." She says walking off and I could grab her arm in time to stop her. Letting her go, I seem to have developed a habit of that.