Chapter 5: Exhale

(Y/N)'s POV

My vision and consciousness became clearer as the sound of Desna and Eska's voice awakened me, my body was against a tree and my hands tied with rope. Unalaq comes out of the spirit portal and Desna questions him and asks them about Korra instead. "I see you've managed to capture my vessel, where is the Avatar?" He questions. The two explained what happened and then my worst nightmare had come to reality. "The Avatar is dead." Eska says and I lose it. I take all the strength within my body to attack and charge at Unalaq, I land a couple hits on him before his children trap my hands and legs in ice. Tears streamed down my face. I didn't want to face the truth. She can't be dead or else I would feel empty. "Good, use those extreme emotions and channel it, you'll make the perfect vessel my dear student." Unalaq praises. My heart was pounding and my head aching. This can't be real, this has to be a dream, I can't live without her, I can't breath without her. I burst out into an ear piercing scream and slump my head down, I was having a mental breakdown. The events of 6 months ago haunting my mind and the scars from my brushes with death ached more and hit me like a truck. Soon the twins throw me into the portal for me to see the place for myself.

The place was beautiful but there was a darkness following me, I just felt it. I turned around and there she was, Phantom. "But Phantom was me. How could she be standing in front of me right now?" I thought in my head and she answered. "Because you have greater power than you know. When you became me, you locked the good you away, it took a brush with death to return to your normal self. The only reason I'm here is because you don't want to face reality or the pain that comes with it." She says. "How was I able to create you?" I ask. "Only people of great spiritual knowledge, blood, or energy can do this. Or those who have experienced extreme trauma end up with this result. However I think you know it could be a result of both." Phantom said. "I feel like I'm going to break if I even think about that and her. "She's been on your mind a lot. I'm surprised you've lasted this long. But to numb the pain you feel just let me take over." She says. I know this is wrong but I don't have any reason to do good anymore. Sure I have Asami and Bolin, and maybe even Mako but they aren't the reason I changed. Korra was the reason and now she is gone and all I can do is inhale but I can't seem to exhale. "Do it." Phantom says. "Do what?" I ask her. "Breath, inhale and then exhale." She says. I inhale and she turns to smoke infecting my lungs once more, then I exhale letting go of the humanity I had for the world, the humanity that I had for her.

Phantom's POV

I step out of the portal and Desna, Eska, and Unalaq look at me in shock with my emotionless face. "Shall we get started on this vessel business or not?" I ask and Unalaq snaps out of it. "Of course, we have a lot of work to do now that the Avatar is gone." He says and I nod. I do feel that there is a part of my other half that can come back if Korra is truly alive. I can still feel her but the pain was too much I- I mean she needed to guide away from it and save her strength from the true trouble that could come to her in the future. Father's intentions, reasons and life will take a toll on her. After all Zaheer isn't a force to reckon with.

(HUGE Timeskip)

Korra's POV

I need her back. The story of Avatar Wan has told me and taught me so much and has made me even more determined to get (Y/N) back. For all I know Unalaq could use her for Vaatu. I can't let that happen, I can't live without her. Those two years without her worry the worst of my life, the six months after Amon the longest and now knowing I put her in this situation I can't help but feel guilty. I just want to hold her in my arms and never let go. Seeing her helpless before that spirit attacked me in the ocean, I never want to be the reason for that again. I made my way to the air temple Tenzin and his family were staying at. I needed to get access to the spirit world to close the portal. "This is all my fault, (Y/N) is in danger I can feel it." I say and Tenzin's eyes widen. "You know I've always had a theory about the two of you." He says and I look at him to continue. "The two of you were so close I thought the two of you would have that spiritual love that my mother and father had. If you can feel her from the farthest of distances then that's how you know. What do you feel right now?" Tenzin asks. I close my eyes on the bench and think of (Y/N). "I feel pain and emptiness, but there is that glimmer of hope. There is darkness and light splitting into two different people." I open my eyes and I fill up with worry. Whatever has happened to (Y/N) I need to help her as soon as possible. Tenzin agrees to help me enter the spirit world to close the portal from the inside.

Phantom's POV

Days of work and Unalaq, Desna, and Eska have been working on the Northern portal while I decide to speak the dark spirit Vaatu. "Ah, the darkness and light of the world all wrapped into one person, to what do I owe this pleasure?" They ask. The spirit's voice was deep and bold. "He may fail you Vaatu. I am sorry." I say. "He won't but your other half will. The avatar is alive and she will become your downfall Tula." He says. "That may be but my job is to be the balance between you and Raava, whether you like it or not." I say. "Let Unalaq do his work, don't interfere until she has realized her power and has bonded with you." Vaatu says and I nod going back to see Unalaq walking towards us to address Vaatu himself. And now Unalaq is informed that Korra is alive and in the spirit world. I guess another adventure is about to begin.

(A/N): Ok a little context to this idea. I always thought that every person the Avatar has fallen in love with is blessed somehow when they meet the Avatar. So I decided to change Avatar Wan's origin story a little bit and just say that during the first fight between Raava and Vaatu parts of the both of them combined and that spirit of dark and light (Tula is the name I just came up with it) has been waiting for Vaatu to be free once more in order to be a middle ground of sorts which is why (Y/N) is the way she is now. Hope you like the idea, I honestly couldn't care less about the Varrick scandal and stuff because we all know that if (Y/N) was there during the whole Asami and Mako thing (Y/N) would have beat the crap out of Mako cuz she's protective. Anyway this one might end up shorter than the first book cuz I'm really eager to start writing for the Zaheer father storyline. Yeah enjoy :)