Chapter 30

“The Heart of a Wildflower”

2013 Copyright © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 30

The scorching southern heat bore down on Elizabeth as she stood stoically by Zeb’s side.  In its own way, it was both unforgiving and relentless that sorrowful Tuesday afternoon. Together, they somberly watched Christopher’s casket being lowered into the ground. The way that Elizabeth looked at it, the torturous heat was a small price to pay in the wake of what Christopher gave up in order to save both her and her unborn child.

For the first time in days, Elizabeth had no more tears to shed.  Her head ached, she was exhausted and sleep was a luxury that she couldn’t seem to find.

But thanks to Christopher’s quick thinking, she was alive.  She was still here with Zeb standing strong on her right side and their son, Brandon, standing on her left.

Moments earlier, Brandon took the initiative and tucked his small hand in hers. She glanced down at him and looked deep into his beautiful, smiling blue eyes. It was then that she was certain that somehow, someway everything was going to be all right.

She listened carefully as the Preacher gave his closing words.  “The other day I came across a poem that I would like to share with you all before we leave here today.  ”I Did Not Die,” written by Melinda Sue Pacho.  I think it best sums up what's in all our hearts.”

He pulled a folded piece of paper out of his back pocket and carefully unfolded it, setting it down on the pulpit in front of him.

Do not stand at my grave and forever weep.

I am not there; I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn’s rain.

When you awaken in the morning’s hush

I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and forever cry.

I am not there. I did not die.

When he finished, nobody said a word.  The poem had said it all.  Christopher did not die in that hospital room; he still lived on in the hearts of everyone that was fortunate enough to know him.  They will never forget. Elizabeth would never forget.

Zeb wrapped his arm around Elizabeth’s slumped shoulders, lending her the strength that she so badly needed to get through the rest of the service.

As a woman, she still carried the scars as a reminder of her experience.  She didn’t know if she would ever be able to reconcile the fact that the one man she had trusted for so long, betrayed her in ways that she could never have fathomed.  Behind his paternal façade, Dr. Mayberry was truly ruthless and insane.

Unfortunately, Elizabeth had to learn that lesson the hard way, by first hand experience.  It was a lesson that she wouldn’t soon forget.

Over the last few days, Sheriff Hal Winters had discovered that Nicole was in fact, the one that had vandalized her car and then later planted the bomb with intention to kill her.  Stupidly, in a fit of jealous rage, she confessed to it all.  She claimed that Zeb belonged with her and stupidly threatened to kill anybody, including Elizabeth, that got in her way.