Epilogue

“The Heart of a Wildflower”

2013 Copyright © All Rights Reserved

Epilogue

One year later….

It’s been three hundred and sixty-five days since Zeb carried a bruised and battered Elizabeth out of that hospital room.  The year had been long, trying at times, but together–they survived.

Elizabeth didn’t talk to her mother for almost an entire month after the incident.  In the beginning, she didn’t know what to say to her.  She didn’t want to think that her mother knew about Dr. Mayberry’s plans, but the question was always there.

It wasn’t until she returned home one warm fall afternoon from a visit at the park that she found her mother wringing her hands on her front doorstep.  One look into her mother’s pain-filled eyes and Elizabeth knew deep down the truth. Her mother hadn’t known any more about what Dr. Mayberry than she had.

Her mother hesitantly stood and waited until Elizabeth ran into her arms.  Many tears were shed as Elizabeth told her bits of the story; but in the end, mother and daughter were reunited again. Her mother also had a chance to meet her grandson for the very first time.  Brandon had her wrapped firmly around his fingers in a matter of minutes.  Now, just like every other loving grandparent, she spoils him rotten–loving every minute of it.

After Zeb’s therapeutic proposal they waited three months to get married.  It was a small wedding which included Elizabeth’s mother and a handful of their friends.  It was a quaint ceremony and in Elizabeth’s eye’s it was picture perfect.   

Brandon played the part of the ring bearer; and he was exceptionally proud of himself because he made it all the way down the aisle without dropping the ring. It was a day that both Elizabeth and Zeb would remember for many years to come.

Then on February 18, 2010 they welcomed Jacob Christopher Crooker to their humble brood.  Weighing in at a healthy 8 pounds and 12 ounces,  Jacob arrived with a healthy set of lungs and a penchant for pulling hair.  Just like Brandon, he was the spitting image of his father. He had those gorgeous sapphire blue eyes that Elizabeth suspected by high school would have all the girls giving him flirty smiles.

Sitting on the picnic blanket she watched Brandon and Zeb kick the soccer ball back and forth.  It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon and Zeb thought it would be a good idea to take the whole family out for a picnic.

Brandon, a full year older was becoming quite the young man.  It took six months of legal jumbo to make everything official but Elizabeth and Zeb were now Brandon’s legal guardians.

Elizabeth hated to think about the life that Brandon had with Nicole.  She ignored him mostly, making him feel unwanted and unloved.  But with therapy and his parent’s unconditional love, he was blooming beautifully.

Nicole had been tried and found guilty on all charges. She is serving a sentence of thirty years.

Dr. Mayberry’s case took a little longer than hers.  They received the phone call just this morning that he was found guilty on all charges.  He was looking at a sentence of fifty years to life.

For Elizabeth, Zeb and Brandon, that part of their life was over.  Finally.

Now they could look forward to a future–together.

“Mama!  Watch me,” Brandon demanded.

Elizabeth smiled at her oldest son.  “I’m watching.”