Chapter 20

“The Heart of a Wildflower”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 20

Elizabeth hitched her purse up a little higher on her shoulder and walked through the mechanical doors of the hospital.  The second she stepped outside into the thick, humid heat she felt like she had been smacked hard in the face, making it virtually impossible just to breathe.  Tiny beads of sweat were beginning to line her brow.

Exhaustion was already weighing down heavily on her after finishing up another grueling twelve hour shift.  Coupled with her lack of sleep- special thanks to Zeb, she was just one step short of keeling over where she sat.    

She refused to regret a second of it though.  Once they managed to make it to the bed he took her to heights that she hadn’t even known existed.  He pleasured her over and over, using his talented fingers and equally sinful tongue into the wee hours of the morning.  Her most intimate parts were still tingling in the aftermath of his devoted attentions.

But all that special attention left her running on empty, going on about four hours of sleep and two pots of cold coffee sloshing around in her system.  

Running the back of her hand across her forehead Elizabeth half-walked, half-stumbled across the parking lot; collapsing tiredly on a stone bench.  Zeb was supposed to pick her up today since her car was still over at the garage, but she didn't see him when she first walked outside.

Looking off into the distance she could see the dark angry clouds looming over the horizon.  She recalled the news from the night before mentioning a pretty good chance of storms this afternoon.  If nothing else, the coming rain would cool it down some, for at least a little while. 

She rubbed the back of sweat coated neck and grimaced.  She really hated this heat.  One would think after twenty-four years of putting up with it summer after summer that she would have somehow managed to get used to it.

But nope, she never did.  Every year it was the same.  The southern humidity arrives and walking outside left her feeling miserable.  She suffered through it though, because despite the heat, she loved the small town she grew up in or rather the idea of living in a small town. It wouldn't seem the same if she lived anywhere else.

The sound of a horn beeping caused Elizabeth to jump.  Turning around she saw a very handsome looking Zeb waving at her. She stood up and quickly walked over to his car, carefully taking in every perfect inch of his bronzed muscled body.  Her brain starting working in overdrive, remembering just how perfectly well the man had pleased her last night, his glorious naked body rubbing against hers, eliciting erotic sounds from her lips that she hadn’t even been aware that she could make.

She stopped at the passenger door and was surprised to see that Zeb had stepped out of the car. He already had the passenger side door open, waiting for her. Her eyes dropped to the noticeably large bulge in his pants and she felt a sudden flash of heat rise in her cheeks.

She jerked her head back up and couldn’t hide the small hitch in her breath. The moment that her gaze collided with his cocky smirk, she immediately averted her gaze.

Damn the man all to hell!  She cursed herself.  This wasn’t fair.  If his erection was any indication, he probably knew exactly what she was thinking about, too.    Irritable and tired, Elizabeth slid into the cool leather seat with as much dignity as she possibly could.  She heard his low chuckle when he closed the door and shook her head.  Two minutes.  That was all it took for her to see him and react like a sexually addicted harlot.