Chapter 7

“The Heart of a Wildflower”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 7

Elizabeth watched as Zeb carefully laid out the blanket on the ground. He was meticulous in straightening out the corners, and she had to suppress her smile when this big warrior of a man sat down on his knees and proceeded to pull out several containers of food from the brown wicker basket he had brought along with them.

She couldn’t deny that it was an impressive spread. In one Tupperware dish he had sliced ham and turkey. In another she noticed roast beef. It looked like he had brought along two kinds of cheeses as well as both white and wheat bread. He had been nothing but thorough. She finally failed in hiding her smile when he brought out the ripe strawberries and grapes. And if that wasn’t enough, Zeb pulled out two crystal wine glasses and a bottle of what looked to be some pretty expensive chardonnay.

‘This is too much.’ Elizabeth said, gaping in awe.

Zeb patted the blanket beside of him. ‘Nothing is too much when it comes to you Lizzie.’

Elizabeth hesitantly made her way over to his side and sat down, crossing her legs Indian style. He grinned back at her and there was a distinctive spark in his eyes that seemed to light up his whole face. She couldn’t help but return his smile with a shy smile of her own. This was the Zeb that she remembered from that night years ago; so sweet, attentive and affectionate. That single night of intimacy that they shared, he had been everything that a girl could have ever dreamed of and then some.

Her eyes followed Zeb’s hands as he took a slice of white bread and topped it with a piece of ham and a piece of yellow cheese. Holding the small sandwich between his thumb and forefinger, he lifted the food to Elizabeth’s mouth. She kept her mouth closed and eyed him warily.

“Come on darling, open up for me,” he urged in a heady whisper.

She couldn’t resist his sexy, southern drawl. Elizabeth opened her mouth and let him feed her the miniature sandwich. The whole experience was sensual and erotic. When she took the last bite, he used his thumb to wipe away some of the crumbs left behind on her chin. At the moment, they both found each other’s eyes.

Neither of them could move. After a long minute passed, Zeb slowly started to lean in a bit closer and very lightly, brushed his lips against her mouth. It was a very sweet and very gentle kiss, nothing like the hungry, passion filled kisses he had given her either. Elizabeth closed her eyes, wanting to savor the moment.

And then he just as slowly pulled back from her, leaving Elizabeth feeling dazed and slightly confused.

When she came down from her pleasurable haze, she opened her eyes and narrowed them when she caught that knowing smirk that Zeb was always so famous for.

Zeb picked up the bottle of chardonnay and pulled out the cork. Grabbing Elizabeth’s wine glass, he filled it halfway and handed it over, their fingers lightly touching in the exchange. That small touch left a lingering trail of heat that began a slow simmer in her blood. By the lusty expression on Zeb’s face, he was feeling something very similar.

Zeb turned away and filled his own glass. He lifted in the air to her. ‘To new beginnings,’ he breathed out.   Slowly, she lifted her glass too. ‘To new beginnings,’ she repeated and clicked the glasses together.

Lowering her head, Elizabeth carefully brought the glass to her lips and took a sip of the bittersweet wine. She took several long sips before lifting her gaze back to Zeb. ‘This is really good Zeb. I’m impressed.’