14. A Night on the Cards (2)

Emily Post-Redwood was planning a serious night out. She took time to prepare herself, combing and brushing her fur thoroughly and picking out a fairly provocative outfit. She padded through her suite of rooms as she selected a few items to take with her. She purred when she caught a glimpse of her reflection and instinctively turned back her ears.

She grinned at herself in the mirror and her sharp teeth protruded briefly. She looked quite predatorial, which seemed strangely appropriate for a night at the gaming tables.

After a quick look around the room she slipped outside and closed the door. There was no need to lock it since the ship would only allow access to those who had permission, which was a fairly limited group.

Emily tucked a small bag under her arm and made her way along the corridor enjoying the way her feliform body moved with cat-like grace and sensual curves. She caught a glimpse of herself in some glass and smiled again. There was a twinkle in her eye as she contemplated the night ahead.

The ship's lights had been automatically adjusted to indicate the setting of the sun. They flickered like gas lamps, which made the corridors feel warm and mysterious. Emily climbed a small staircase and stepped out onto the deck.

Emily's apartment was in the starboard hull, so it was a bit of a walk to the entertainment district. She selected a scenic route which took her across one of the taller bridges. The view of the setting sun was quite spectacular from this height so she paused by the rail for a while to admire the view.

Two men were standing under a nearby lantern. One was short and was dressed in a smart blue suit. The other was taller and wore a brown cloak. They watched her as she looked out to sea, but she didn't acknowledge their presence.

'Who is she?' Swan asked in a quiet voice.

'Not sure,' Watcher replied. 'But she seems familiar somehow.'

Swan nodded.

'I feel that I know her, but I can't quite place it...'

Emily turned and looked around her. For a moment she appeared to be looking straight at Swan but he could tell that she wasn't seeing him. Her eyes were focussed on something in the distance. It was as if he wasn't there. She turned on her heels and walked away, nodding to a couple of passengers who she seemed to recognise.

'We're not really here are we?' Swan asked Watcher quietly. 'She couldn't hear or see us?'

'No,' Watcher replied, shaking his head. 'I think we're in some form of recording rather than a simulation.'

Swan turned his head to watch Emily as she continued her journey across the ship.

'I recognise her, I'm sure of it,' he said again.

'Let's follow her and see what she does.'

Swan nodded. It seemed to be the right thing to do.

They followed Emily across the bridge, stepping leisurely over the polished wooden boards of the deck. Coloured lights on long cables were beginning to come on across the ship as the sky darkened. Swan found that he was beginning to relax but he still had a lot of questions.

'We're back in the VEPE right?' he asked casually. 'Or something similar?'

Watcher took him by the arm and they strolled along together, looking like just another couple on an evening promenade.

'No,' he replied. 'This is a recording, but it's from the real world.'

'What is she then? Is she human?'

'Very much so,' Watcher answered as they stepped onto the central hull. 'The nature of humanity has changed a lot since our first trip. This is the present day, I think.'