28. Moments of Truth

The 'big whore' sat in her favourite chair with a watchful look on her face. She was dressed in a deep red velvet gown which emphasised her voluptuous figure. Her dark hair was loose but set in tight curls with a few decorative beads woven in. She was wearing a several items of chunky gold jewellery including a red ruby signet ring and decorative horn rimmed spectacles.

Her office was illuminated by flickering gas lamps which cast deep shadows in darker corners. In one of these, the 'fortune teller' was seated behind a small table with a crystal ball and a deck of tarot cards set out before her. Her face was covered with her thick cloak and her expression was unreadable.

A man in a top hat and tails who could only be described as 'the banker' had stationed himself at her desk and was working through some large ledgers. He had a black fountain pen in one hand and made occasional notes in the margins.

The 'big whore' was quite used to nocturnal visitors, although her room was seldom used for such a large gathering. She glanced around the office, like a queen examining her subjects.

'So, Esther Certaine,' she said in her smooth voice. 'We meet again - and so soon!'

The three of them were asleep when there had been a loud knock on the door. Esther opened it carefully, and was surprised to see two of the girls from the brothel. She wasn't sure if she should let them in, but they spoke urgently and warned the three fugitives that they were in imminent danger.

The two girls helped them pack up their things as quickly as possible and then guided the small group out from the hotel using a back door. One of them scattered some grey dust into the air as they left - to confuse any pursuers - before leading them through a maze of dark streets, back to the brothel on the corner of Ender's Street.

'We're very grateful,' Esther replied warily. 'Although I'm not entirely sure what we're running from - or why you chose to help us...'

The 'big whore' chuckled to herself in a faintly evil way.

'No, my dear, I don't suppose you are.'

She waved her hand regally at one of the girls who poured her a drink in a tall champaign flute. She sipped it as she continued to examine her guests.

'Would you like to enlighten her, young Master Crittis? Or has your mind really disappeared into the sand?'

Watcher glanced at Esther before stepping towards the mistress somewhat uncertainly.

'I'm not Crittis,' he said bluntly. 'Although I may have been in the past - and may be again.'

She acknowledged his statement with a subtle smile and raised eyebrows.

'I do know a few things though,' he continued. 'I know that someone has been tracking down my friend, and I know I've got to protect him.'

He gestured at Swan while the 'big whore' cackled.

'Indeed,' she said darkly. 'Well, your flight through the system has brought something very dangerous into our city.'

She took another sip from her glass.

'We take such intrusions very seriously,' she continued with a grim expression, as if she was placing all the responsibility for their present difficulties on Watcher's shoulders. 'And we do not appreciate it when our peace is disturbed!'

Behind her, the fortune teller drew a card from the deck. It showed a picture of a black moth. She held it up for a moment before laying it on the table.

Esther stepped forward and took her notebook from her bag.

'You've all been here for a very long time,' she said as she leafed through the pages which showed the twelve paintings. 'Either Fidriss built the city for you... or it served his purpose to have you here...'