35. Face to Face

Emily and Travis wandered through the ship through empty corridors and echoing stairwells. Many doors had been wedged open by pieces of furniture or dislodged fittings, but there was little sign of life.

Travis enjoyed listening to her soft voice as she recounted the events of the night. She was bubbling with energy and seemed satisfied with her achievements.

He made a few encouraging noises as he wondered what their future might involve. It wasn't going to be easy to begin again, when there were so many things that he didn't know - so many shared memories that he had forgotten.

He tried to describe his own journey through the system, but it was hard to find the right words - so many words, so may people... It was going to take time - but he sensed that time would not be the biggest problem...

As they reached the main decks, there were more signs of activity. Rescue workers had already managed to climb on board, and they were busy checking out the ship and working out how to make it safe. Yellow tape was beginning to appear in abundance and workers in yellow reflective jackets seemed to be everywhere.

Travis wasn't the only sleeper to be regaining consciousness and there were a number of bemused men and women wandering aimlessly around asking questions.

They stood by a railing for a while, taking in the view.

'It wasn't like this last night,' Emily said after a while.

'I know,' he replied. 'I did see some of the recordings...'

She nodded.

'I think I'd better go and see if I can help,' she said after a while.

He was about to say 'yes' when he noticed a familiar silhouette standing beneath a lantern looking out across the sand.

'Maybe in a minute,' he replied. 'There's someone I need to talk to first.'

'Okay,' she said happily. 'Don't be too long!'

She waved as she walked away, her tail bobbing happily in the sunlight.

Travis watched her go with a smile of contentment on his face before turning and stepping towards the waiting figure.

The man was standing next to the railings with his hands in his pockets. There was no sign of movement, but Travis knew that he had been waiting for him.

He walked across the deck and stood next to his friend.

They both gazed out across the sand. The blue water of the Mediterranean was glimmering in the sunlight and the roads were now filled with rescue vehicles and bystanders, who were staring up at the immense ship.

'Quite a view,' Watcher said happily. 'It would have been quite something to have been here when she came aground.'

'We were somewhat busy at the time,' Swan replied.

'Indeed...'

They stood for a while by the railings before Travis asked the obvious question.

'What are you doing here?'

Watcher laughed.

'I'm being human,' he replied with amusement. 'That was your plan, after all.'

'But you're here! That shouldn't be possible! Is this some kind of simulation? Are we still in the system?'

Watcher shook his head and tapped the railings which made a satisfying clunk.

'This is solid enough,' he said. 'We're both here. We're both real.'

'But I saw you disappear! You were erased!'

Watcher shook his head.

'I was removed from the system,' he said. 'My essential personality - the core of my being if you like - was sent here. All of my additional storage space and processing power was stripped away and I was rebuilt right here on the Swan with a human body.'

'It is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven... ' Travis muttered.

'Exactly!' Watcher replied. 'Gastis didn't erase me, he merely released me - which is rather ironic, because this was what it was about all along.'

'Embodiment?'

Watcher nodded.

'I'd worked out how to create physical bodies for virtual lifeforms,' he continued. 'It's the logical next step in our collective development.'

'That was the big project that you mentioned to Philippa Bartim?'

Watcher nodded.

'I was going to bring it up at the strategic review, but Gastis got wind of it and it spooked him.'

'He was frightened of another war?'

'He was worried that it would destabilise the system that we had spent such a long time trying to create,' he said. 'Some of us remember the riots and the protests - the injustice and the violence. Gastis lived through it all - and the war as well. He was just afraid.'

Swan turned and looked at his friend.

'He attacked you with the viper to stop you from sharing your idea?'

Watcher nodded again.

'We had seconds,' he said. 'But you came up with this brilliant plan. You wiped our memories and set up a chain of events that would lead us here...'

Swan stared out across the sand again.

'So what next?'

Watcher laughed.

'Well, perhaps the world isn't ready for the next step just yet,' he said. 'But I think I'm going to enjoy being human for a while.'

'Nobody knows?'

Watcher shrugged.

'I think Certaine might have a few suspicions, but he won't tell.'

A large emergency vehicle flew low over the ship and hovered over the central hull while rescue workers descended from ropes onto the deck.

'How much can you remember?' Swan asked.

Watcher scratched his head thoughtfully. It was a very human action.

'I remember quite a bit,' he said. 'Not everything, of course, but quite a lot about being Crittis. I'm the same person I was, I think...'

'I've got nothing,' Swan said flatly. 'I can't remember anything from my life before the crash. Why is that?'

Watcher looked at him carefully.

'That was your choice,' he said. 'I wanted a human body, and you wanted a new start - a chance to begin again.'

'But what will I do?' Swan asked.

'Well, that, my friend,' Watcher replied. 'Is entirely up to you.'

The End