Chapter Thirty-two. New Digs

Chapter Thirty-two 

New Digs 

A small terraced house, close to Endcliffe Park, served as John's new lodgings. It was a three storeyed home, and John shared an attic bedroom with Dave, his lab partner, and a first year civil engineering student named Norman. The attic was warm even on the coldest nights. They had a pleasant room for studying, and their own bathroom, on the second floor. The home was far more comfortable than his former nightmarish digs. However, the meals, served in the living room on the ground floor, were not quite up to the standards of Mrs. Jewett, his old landlady - nor Gillian's for that matter.  

The term started well. John felt at ease in his new surroundings, and encouraged by Dave immersed himself in study. His hard work paid immediate dividends. 

"Nice work, Gregson." said Lawrence pausing to relight his pipe. "That was a good presentation to start the year." Several prodigious puffs later, he rose from behind his desk, joined John, and turned to face the other six students seated in an arc around the blackboard. His tone changed. "As for you miserable lot, I expect more participation next week. Especially from you young man," he said, pointing directly at Eric Carling, the only varsity athlete in their study group.  

"Why me?" protested Eric, who had barely said a word during the tutorial. 

"Meisenheimer complexes, Carling." 

"What sir?" 

"That's why," said Lawrence. "Now get the hell out of here, the lot of you, so that I can get down to some useful work."  

"Well done," whispered his lab partner Dave, as they scrambled out of the office.  

"I couldn't have done it without your help." 

"Bullshit. Sure you could." Dave glanced at his watch."If we dash we should be able to make the three forty-five bus." 

"You go ahead. I feel a bit pumped. I'll walk back to the digs." 

"Rather you than me." 

John was in a self- congratulatory mood as he strode along Clarkehouse Road towards the University residences that he couldn't afford. A steep descent down Brocco Bank brought him to Hunter's Bar, presumably named after the horse jump in the centre of the huge roundabout. He then took a short cut through the park to the wrought iron gate that opened up directly opposite Peveril Street. The Billings' house was located on the left of Peveril, opposite the second streetlamp.

Why was there an ambulance parked right in front of it?  

It couldn't be Norman. He had left that morning for Luton. Dave? He had been fine half an hour ago. Pasty, but then he always looked pasty. It must be Mr. or Mrs. Billings. No. They were standing on the doorstep talking to the ambulance man and motioned John inside. He raced up to the attic. 

"What the hell's going on, Dave?"