Chapter Sixty. A Note from St.Louis.

Chapter Sixty

A Note from St. Louis.

Judith moved to St.Louis with the aid of her unsuspecting parents.

While John immersed himself in research, the thought of the unborn baby was never far from his mind. His emotions swung from remorse over the trouble he'd caused to a secret scary thrill at the idea of fatherhood.

The months passed. John was at his wits end when he decided to go to St.Louis and hunt for Judith. Before he could buy a Greyhound bus ticket, a bulky envelope arrived. It contained eight crisp fifty-dollar bills and a short note.

St. Louis,

Missouri,

August 2nd

Dear John,

Please find enclosed the money you so kindly sent me. I don't think I could keep it under the circumstances. You are off the hook. Just a couple of weeks after my arrival in St. Louis, I suffered a miscarriage.

There were no complications and I don't think anyone is any the wiser. It was probably for the best. I didn't tell you earlier as I needed your cash to survive. Please forgive me.

I don't think there is much point in our continuing to write. Much to my mother's delight, I have met up with a nice young man. Yes, he is Jewish, and it looks as if he has serious intentions.

I'll never forget the fun we had together. I hope that one day you will gain the fame you so  desire and I will be able to tell my friends with a straight face that I once played whist with you. Take care and keep well.

Judith

John gently kissed the note, breathed a sigh of relief, and murmured, "Thank you Judith."