Chapter Sixty-seven. Closure.

Chapter Sixty-seven 

Closure 

Two months later, they moved in together as husband and wife. From her large inheritance, Rachel had purchased a small bungalow, fully equipped with devices to aid John as his muscles continued to degenerate. Now he was confined to a wheelchair. Rachel, who had taken leave from her job and taken a caregiver's course, tended him constantly. She followed a recommended routine. 

Each morning they would wake early, John in anticipation of the bed bath and soothing massage to follow, Rachel to prepare his breakfast. This now consisted largely of baby foods and juices that he took in bed. He had lost the ability to swallow solid foods and could no longer raise utensils to his mouth. Breakfast completed, Rachel removed the single sheet from his naked body, gently bathed him and gave a lengthy massage paying particular attention to his withered limbs. Rachel then transferred him to the wheelchair and guided him in to the bathroom. There John evacuated in to the chamber pot ingeniously built in to the chair, rang the bell with his nose when he was finished and Rachel returned to remove the waste. Then she shaved John, cleaned his teeth and helped him in to his day clothes. 

The rest of the morning, they worked on the text. John now had difficulty speaking and he transmitted his whispered communications via an amplifier. Progress was slow as he was also experiencing breathing difficulties and frequent rest periods were necessary. After a liquid lunch, she wheeled John into the bedroom where he napped in the reclining chair with an alarm in close proximity to his mouth. On waking, John liked to watch the horse racing on T.V. and Rachel feigned interest pretending to have made bets on each race. Racing over, John eagerly awaited the evening news. His body may have failed, but his mind was as keen as ever and he still devoured the articles in the evening paper. 

Attempts to amuse him in the evenings depended largely on the T.V. schedule and old radio recordings of the Goon Show. Reruns of Hancock were his particular favourites and always managed to bring a smile to his eyes and chuckles that caused Rachel some consternation. Old movies, especially westerns, also seemed to please him but it was rare for him to watch them to completion. Frequently Rachel would leave him sleeping in the chair and forego their usual bedtime routine. 

Despite his fragile state Rachel knew that John still experienced sexual desire and she did everything she could to give him some pleasure. When she prepared him for his evening shower, she would strip in unison with him. After removing one article of his clothing, she teasingly removed one of her own. This continued until they were both naked. His excitement by now was evident. She now transferred him from the bed via the wheelchair to a special chair in the shower. This involved several lifts that Rachel abhorred. It was like lifting an oversized rag doll with cold clammy limbs. Once seated she bathed him and then proceeded to sensually lather herself as he gazed at her , his head uplifted on the supporting collar. 

A normal sexual relationship had proved impossible. By the time they married, it was too late. His inability to move his arms and legs and upper torso had convinced John that there was no way he would be able to participate to the satisfaction of his partner. This resulted in anxiety attacks and an inability to maintain an erection during any attempt at intercourse. As the therapist had instructed she satisfied his voyeuristic tendencies, gave him daily massages and always slept with her naked body touching his. Maybe this was enough for him. 

They completed the book in early May. The final proof reading had proved particularly frustrating for Rachel as John was now communicating largely through eye motions that indicated 'yes' and 'no'. One final read through then Rachel transferred the final proof in to the publisher's envelope. Looking directly at John, she licked the gummed flap and sealed the envelope. She smiled, raised her hands in mock triumph and yelled, "We did it, John. We did it." 

John struggled to speak. It was barely a whisper even with amplification. The speech was slurred and excruciatingly slow. Rachel was able to decipher the words.  

"How can I ever repay you?" 

She went to his side, bent over him and whispered in his ear. She stood back waiting for his reply. His speech had exhausted him but he blinked, twice. That meant 'yes'. 

Later that day Rachel called her mother and asked her to come and keep John company whilst she went to the post office. On her way to mail the manuscript, she stopped off at the chemists. There she purchased a length of small diameter plastic tubing, a syringe and a pack of contraceptives.  

It might be possible, but was it wise? 

John, his mother, and his aunt had all succumbed to this dreadful affliction.

Rachel shuddered at the thought of another inheritance.