Chapter Fifty-nine. Consequences

Chapter Fifty-nine

Consequences 

John had been sitting in the cavernous restaurant nursing the same beer for about half an hour when Judith arrived. His mood of exhilaration rapidly dissipated as she approached the table. Wan, with lank hair and dark rings under her eyes, she had obviously been weeping. John rose from his chair and guided her into the seat opposite. He gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead as she slumped into the chair. 

"What's wrong, deary?" He asked, straying into the Cumbrian vernacular. 

Judith squirmed around in her seat and surveyed the almost empty restaurant before replying. 

"I'm pregnant." 

John gasped. Thousands of questions raced in his head waiting for answers.  What would this do to his research plans? His project was going so well. He had just passed his first cume. Did he want a child? Would he be able to support a child on his stipend? This made life so complicated.

"Are you sure?" 

"Of course I'm sure. I've missed two periods and I feel so nauseous every morning." 

"Have you checked with a doctor?" 

"Yes. This morning, and she confirmed it." 

"But it's impossible. We have been so careful." 

"Not every time. The doctor said I was three months pregnant." 

John rapidly did the mental arithmetic. "Strip Whist," he murmured. 

Judith nodded, "I never should have laced the shortbread with marijuana." 

"So that's how I got so loopy?" 

"Stupid wasn't it, loosening you up like that, and then having unprotected sex. It was my only time and look what happened. I was ovulating and you were shooting bullets."  

There was a nervous cough. A wide-eyed, sombrero clad waiter was by their side. "May I take your order now, senor?" 

John realizing that that this was no place for such an intimate conversation said they would not be eating, and asked for his bill. He then accompanied Judith back to her car and arranged to meet back at her apartment. 

When he arrived, Judith was sitting slumped at her kitchen table clutching an opened half-empty bottle of gin. John forcefully grabbed her by the wrists and wrested the bottle from her hand. 

"Now hold on girl. Enough of that. You have a baby to think about now." 

"What are you talking about? There's no way I can keep it." 

"It!"John cringed, releasing his grip, as he slid into a chair opposite her. "What are you saying? This is a living human being, part of you and me." 

"Don't tell me you're a deep-down Catholic." 

"No I'm not, but I don't believe in abortion." 

"Neither do I, but what alternative do you have to offer." 

What could he offer? There was an obvious answer, but what about Rachel? He still hankered after her.  

"Marriage," he blurted. 

Judith gave him a startled look, covered her face with her hands, and let out a bark of bitter laughter. "You must be joking," she eventually said, her shoulders shaking. "You don't love me." 

He didn't. But maybe he would in time. His parents had been in the same situation. It had worked for them. It was the right thing to do. 

"I'm willing to give it a try," he said. 

"You can be such a sweetheart sometimes," said Judith, coming over to nuzzle him. "But it really is a no go."  

"Why?" 

"Many reasons, but mainly religion." 

"What does that have to do with it?" 

"Everything. If I were to marry you, it would rip my family apart, and probably yours as well." 

"But your mother introduced us." 

"Yes, just to get back at her parents. They've been at loggerheads ever since Grandpa insisted on bringing his own food whenever he visited." 

"So?" 

"You wouldn't understand. My mother's family is strictly orthodox, and would never agree to our getting married." 

"What about your Dad's family? 

"Daddy himself is an old softy and probably would be okay with the idea as long as any children are brought up in the Jewish faith."  

"I could live with that." 

"Hold on! That's just Daddy. He's the exception. He has many brothers and sisters and most are as conservative as his parents, who by the way are dead set against you." 

"What if I converted?" 

"Convert! You would do that for me?"  

John shrugged. "I'd do anything to give our child a stable home." 

"Even circumcision?" 

Despite the gravity of the situation, John's horrified reaction caused Judith to laugh.  

"Don't panic, John. I'd never put you through that. There is another less painful alternative." 

"What is that?" 

"Adoption. We could give the baby up for adoption. Would you be okay with that?" 

"I'd prefer not to, but if it's what you want?"  

"I think it's our only option. You don't want me to abort and I've no desire to live as a single Mom" 

"But ..." 

"No buts, John. I'll have to move away so that my family has no inkling of what's going on." 

"Where would you go?" 

"St.Louis. I have an old school friend there who has always pestered me to go and live with her. I'm sure she'd help me out." 

"But could you afford to stay?" 

"Not really, but I could probably get some part time secretarial work." 

Would he be able to help? He could cut back on the beer and chocolate. Maybe it would be possible. 

"I'll send you as much as I can every month and if there are any complications please get in touch. I want to help, and if you change your mind, and want to keep the baby my offer still stands." 

"You can be such a dear, John, but I don't think it would work. You are too fond of your test-tubes, and that girl, Rachel." 

"What do you mean?" 

"You're a very talkative sleeper, John."