Chapter Fifty-three. Pancho's

Chapter Fifty-three 

Pancho's 

The placement exams, known as GRE, took place on the Monday and Wednesday afternoons. John was surprised to find that they were multiple choice exams, a format he had never before experienced. They seemed to be quite easy but it was hard to tell. Results would not be posted until  the following Friday, at a meeting  where each student would receive a schedule for the fall semester. If you ended up having to take undergraduate classes then your performance had been deemed unsatisfactory. 

No one hung around after the exams so John spent most of the week alone. On Wednesday evening, after the Physical Chemistry exam, he decided to give Pancho's a try. Not sure of its location, he splurged on a cab. The bare bones Mexican restaurant was brimming with graduate students from all over Houston. Plates were filled to overflowing with tacos and rice, enchiladas, tortillas and beans - all foreign to the student raised on the stodgy diet of Northern England. Amounts were unlimited and John succumbed to gluttony. It had to be the best deal in town. 

Diarrhea struck about six hours later at two in the morning. The rest of the night, he spent in the bathroom, either evacuating burning bowels or retching an acid coated mix of Mexican staples. By morning John was exhausted, his face ashen, his eyes hollow, the evacuation unceasing. He was desperately thirsty but couldn't keep anything down. He began to think he had contracted cholera or some other tropical disease. There were doctors' offices in the building down the street. If only he could make it. 

He carefully walked toward the medical building, stopping now and then to fight the nausea. Just as he approached the entrance, the pain in his stomach returned. It was excruciating. He wanted to vomit so badly. His body took over and his knees buckled. As he crashed to the ground gastric acid exploded from his mouth. John felt someone grasp his shoulders, and heard a Spanish accented voice shout for a cab. Someone helped him to his feet and bundled him in to the back of a car. 

"Hermann hospital, Senor, and quick," the same voice ordered the driver. 

John was dimly aware that he was in a cab and desperately tried not to soil the leather interior. Next, he found himself on a stretcher being wheeled through a door with the ominous overhead sign "No treatment without payment". Voices murmured around him but he didn't understand a word, then a wonderful calmness flowed through his body and he felt himself sinking into the depths of a refreshing pool.  

He awoke to find himself in the Emergency clinic with an I.V. attached to his arm. Mr. Griffiths the lab director was by his side. 

"Feeling any better, John?" 

"I suppose so, but is it possible to get a drink? My mouth tastes like the bottom of a parrot's cage." 

"I'm not surprised. Here's one of the energy drinks the football team uses. It contains the electrolytes you lost." 

Whilst he was sipping the refreshing drink, John remembered the sign. "Has anyone paid for my treatment?" he queried. 

"No problem. You are a registered Rice student and are covered by the university's insurance plan." 

"How much longer will I need to stay here?" 

"Just a few more hours. They're going to call me when you are ready, then I'll come and pick you up." 

"That's very kind of you." 

"No problem. It's all part of the job. By the way you did really well in your placement tests." 

John immediately perked up. "What does that mean?" 

"Well, for one thing, you don't have to take any undergraduate courses and you will be a T.A. for the Junior Organic Course." 

"Is that good?" 

"It's a lot safer than teaching the Frosh and the course is taught by Professor Lewis, the professor you said that you wanted to work for." 

"That's great, Mr. Griffiths. Thanks for all your help." 

"My pleasure. I'll come back a little later." He turned to go. 

"Oh one last thing, Mr. Griffith. Who brought me to the hospital?" 

"The doorman at the Montrose Medical building. His name is Arturo Gomez. I offered to reimburse him but he wouldn't accept any payment. Maybe you should call on him when you are feeling better." 

"I will."